Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Unusual Time Signature  (Read 4438 times)

Offline kawaigs40

• PS Silver Member
Unusual Time Signature
on: March 08, 2007, 12:28:45 PM
In my edition (Schirmer/Buonamici) of Schubert, Four Impromptus, Op.90 No.3, the time signature shows two cut time symbols side by side. The open ends of the cut time symbols are facing each other. I’ve never seen this before. Is there a name for this time signature? Looking at the score, it seems to be the same as 4/2. Is there a difference between 4/2 and the symbol I've described? I've checked my Harvard Dictionary, Oxford Companion, and searched online, all with no luck. Anybody know?

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Re: Unusual Time Signature
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:23:20 PM
Schirmer ewwww...

...o lol actually that's my only copy too >< don't know how many times i've looked at this piece, yet i never paid any attention to that time signature marking!

The implication on the music in regards to rhythm is as you described. Maybe it's a quirky [or more elegant] way of writing C + C [?]

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:09:33 PM
cut time = 2/2, so 2 cut times = 4/2. You are correct.

I have a feeling that the actual time signature 4/2 was pretty much in disuse or avoided before the Romantic era. Bach also wrote a fugue from the WTC in 4/2, but chose instead to designate it with just a C. Rather confusing at first, actually.

Phil

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 09:55:05 AM
I believe I've also seen 4/2 notated like an "O" with the vertical line.  Sort of like the C but with the gap closed. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline kawaigs40

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:56:37 AM
I e-mailed Schirmer Publishing yesterday and posed the same question.  I wonder if I'll get a response.

Offline kawaigs40

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:23:18 PM
I received an e-mail response from G. Schirmer, Inc.:

Mr. _________,

After looking at the exact edition that you have my colleagues and I were not around in 1897, but we have our own hypothesis: that this is to somehow signify “cut time of cut time.”

In essence you are correct that it is composed in measures of 4/2 and the tempo marking indicates that the half note is the value getting the beat, but the way it is engraved shows that the whole notes may actually be the note that is receiving the beat.

In which case the tempo marking should have probably said “whole note = 168,” but anyway, you are correct it is in 4/2 and with the half = 84.

There are many engraving aspects from 1897 and before that we do not use anymore, and now you can see for obvious reasons why we do not.

Best of luck,

- Peter.

Peter Stanley Martin

Production Associate

Assistant Editor

G. Schirmer, Inc. / Associated Music Publishers

257 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10010

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 05:31:41 PM
I received an e-mail response from G. Schirmer, Inc.:

Mr. _________,

After looking at the exact edition that you have my colleagues and I were not around in 1897, but we have our own hypothesis: that this is to somehow signify “cut time of cut time.”

In essence you are correct that it is composed in measures of 4/2 and the tempo marking indicates that the half note is the value getting the beat, but the way it is engraved shows that the whole notes may actually be the note that is receiving the beat.

In which case the tempo marking should have probably said “whole note = 168,” but anyway, you are correct it is in 4/2 and with the half = 84.

There are many engraving aspects from 1897 and before that we do not use anymore, and now you can see for obvious reasons why we do not.

Best of luck,

- Peter.

Peter Stanley Martin

Production Associate

Assistant Editor

G. Schirmer, Inc. / Associated Music Publishers

257 Park Avenue South, New York, NY 10010

All you need to know about Schirmer is addressed in the fact that they cannot even give you a proper tempo ratio in that e-mail.  ;D

Phil

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 04:19:18 PM
All you need to know about Schirmer is addressed in the fact that they cannot even give you a proper tempo ratio in that e-mail.  ;D

Phil

Sad, but unfortunately true. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert