Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What's so special about Julliard?  (Read 7619 times)

Offline bitus

• PS Silver Member
What's so special about Julliard?
on: February 25, 2004, 07:01:25 PM
yeah... what's so special about schools like Julliard? I mean, it couldn't be the amount people practice there, because people practice a lot everywhere...
Is it the teachers? What do they teach different? How do they teach? What do those schools require? What do they provide?
The Bitus
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: What's so special about Julliard?
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 11:34:27 PM
well one reason Juilliard is special is because its in the middle of New York City...i visited last fall and i just thought the location was perfect and i have my mind set on juilliard

Offline Beet9

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 11:52:35 PM
julliard's not the best, just so you know.  i'm not going there because they are reverse rascists.  there is only one place this year for a white female theater major.  so if they want to hate on whites, they can do it without me.
"what's with all the dumb quotes?"

Offline chopiabin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 04:44:35 AM
How many theater majors do they accept a year?

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 06:57:22 AM
i have no idea...overall (freshmen admissions) 1806 people applied last year and 140 were accepted of the 1806...i also have came across gender and racial statistics: 49% male; 51% female....13% Asian; 10% black; 6% hispanic; 47% white (also 23% are international students)...so according  to the statistics they dont really hate on whites

Offline bitus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 08:11:39 PM
i doubt they are rasists... but that wasn't my question... What's so special about them musicaly? What do teacher teach different in there, how many times per week, what do they require, provide?
Anybody can tell me something more precise? Thanks
The Bitus
Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.

Offline Axtremus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 09:57:29 PM
Why is Harvard Medical School special?
Why is the London School of Economics special?
Why is Yale Law School special?
Why is MIT's Engineering School special?

Because in the recent past, they produced many of the most successful professionals in their respective fields. This may also be the case for Julliard.

These schools are very selective -- supposedly they take only the best students aspiring to be the best their field of excellence. So consider this:

For the sake of argument, lets assign a numerical value to a pianist's skill, higher number means better pianistic skills. To get into Julliard, let's say your skill level needs to be at least 70 to beat out other applicants and get in. Then when you graduate, you skill level improved to 95. Great, Julliard added 25 to your skill level. But a less prestiguous School X may take in a student with a skill level of 40, but they graduate pianists with skill level of 80. School X rarely graduates any pianist beyond skill level 80. So School X adds 40 points to its students' skill levels, while Julliard adds 25 points. Which is the better school? Which one gives you better "bang for the buck?"

The more pertinent question is: Which is the better school for you?

What if you really need a skill level of 95 to participate in professional concert circuit and School X for whatever reason never graduate any pianist beyond skill level 85, but you see Julliard churns out many graduates at skill level of 95 and above. Will School X do for you?

Prestiguous schools are prestiguous because their alumns are successful. Their graduates hold many important high positions in their respective fields. Learning professional skills aside, getting into the school also means tapping into the network. This is another very tangible benefit of attending a prestiguous school like Julliard.

Going into a prestiguous school does not guarantee success, but I believe it provides you with more opportunities than you would get otherwise, and it is ultimately up to you to make something out of the opportunities presented to you regardless of which school you end up attending. Good luck.

Offline Colette

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 02:56:45 AM
yes. finding the right school is the most important thing. prestige means nothing if you gain little from the institution, whether opportunites are more available or not.  i attended juilliard studying under herbert stessin and absolutely hated it. i then left and transferred to the royal college of music in london and now i'm trying to transfer again to curtis. so, i've been in and out of prestigious schools with little luck. that, of course should not necessarily be an indication of their quality, but rather of my personal opinions and circumstances. from my own experience, what i got out of juilliard was very little. my teacher, despite his fame, was at a point in his life where he was unintereted in teaching, unprofessional, and his students were not of the highest quality. juilliard, i hear, is sadly losing not its credibility, (the name, of course still looks great on paper), but some of its quality. the great piano teachers are getting quite old and, well, dying. and, certainly, you've all heard of juilliard's cut throat, competitive nature. yes, it's there if you succumb to it, but i really did not witness too much of that. to be honest, it was the parents of their precocious children that were the truly competitive ones. for some people juilliard is a dream. for others, its a place they'd soon not return to.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert