Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: is lang lang good or not?  (Read 63089 times)

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Re: is lang lang good or not?
Reply #50 on: March 17, 2007, 09:28:41 PM
hahaha, your idiocy never ceases to amuse me.
Please Visit: https://www.pianochat.co.nr
My YouTube Videos: https://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=jre58591

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: March 17, 2007, 09:42:40 PM
I'm not laughing.

Pitiful, truly pitiful.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: March 17, 2007, 09:55:31 PM
well, i am laughing, and so is the rest if the forum.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: March 17, 2007, 11:07:54 PM
Well, you do have an incredible personality, and stunningly toned buttocks, but despite all of this, you still disrespect Lang Lang.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline elevateme_returns

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: March 17, 2007, 11:47:54 PM
I think it's that he plays for the audience, not for himself. He exaggerates nuances for the benefit of the audience, and shows off in many areas. I think his Carnegie Hall debut was different though, because the room would've been filled with knowledgeable musicians and non-musicians.

surely exaggerating is better in more romantic pieces like rachmaninov etc?
elevateme's joke of the week:
If John Terry was a Spartan, the movie 300 would have been called "1."

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: March 18, 2007, 01:24:56 AM
and i know you all say hes just a showman, but he does play an awful lot of liszt... so surely showmanship fits?

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: March 18, 2007, 10:26:34 AM
and i know you all say hes just a showman, but he does play an awful lot of liszt... so surely showmanship fits?
No, Liszt is NOT about showmanship.

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: March 18, 2007, 10:28:16 AM
Why don't we settle this once and for all with a thumbs-up or -down vote?

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: March 18, 2007, 11:15:54 AM
No, Liszt is NOT about showmanship.

Agreed. I feel Liszt is more like advanced poetry.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: March 18, 2007, 12:00:16 PM

it depends, really. Liszt evidently has two very distinct aspects of personality in his music. he created a lot of his music to show off technique and to "entertain" in a way, but there is a very deep side to him as a composer which is evident in his religious works, the b minor sonata, annees de pelerinage. I dont mind lang lang butchering the HRs, because they are showpieces IMO (i still like them).

Offline dutch_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: March 18, 2007, 01:31:49 PM
is Lang Lang good or not?

I think he's very talented. I heard that when hearing him play Mozart, he played it very lively and not boring at all, like some pianists do. He has his own voice, his own way, has an original repertoire (except some hackneyed pieces such as Träumerei), for example the Chinese pieces. And I think it's also very important that he's just an upright guy. When I see him teaching, I want to have a teacher like him who's not totally self absorbed.

He also plays pieces such as the Don Juan fantasy. Why anyone takes the time to study this dreadfull piece, I don't know.

Maybe, in 20 years time, he slows down a bit, so I can keep up with him.

and those facial expressions... Pianists such as argerich, Horowitz and Rubinstein never did that. but i think a lot of pianists nowadays don't seem to bother how they look at the piano.

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: March 18, 2007, 01:33:17 PM
it depends, really. Liszt evidently has two very distinct aspects of personality in his music. he created a lot of his music to show off technique and to "entertain" in a way, but there is a very deep side to him as a composer which is evident in his religious works, the b minor sonata, annees de pelerinage. I dont mind lang lang butchering the HRs, because they are showpieces IMO (i still like them).

Yes true, some selected pieces appears to be more of empty entertaining value, with pure virtuosity and "show-off"- like qualities. But as you say, his deep side, with works like Dante and the b minor, is absolutely fantastic.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: March 18, 2007, 02:01:35 PM

Just a hunch, but I suspect Liszt was not as much of a ham actor as Lang Lang.

it depends, really. Liszt evidently has two very distinct aspects of personality in his music. he created a lot of his music to show off technique and to "entertain" in a way, but there is a very deep side to him as a composer which is evident in his religious works, the b minor sonata, annees de pelerinage.

Hard to argue with. It pains me that many people still choose to view Liszt solely as a purveyor of flashy trash.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: March 18, 2007, 02:05:28 PM
i like him very very much. beautiful sound,so many colors,stunning technique and imagination. also,these facial expressions dont bother me at all. so my thumb is up for him

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: March 18, 2007, 02:44:38 PM
It pains me that many people still choose to view Liszt solely as a purveyor of flashy trash.

There must be a reason...  8)
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline ronde_des_sylphes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: March 18, 2007, 03:08:35 PM
Ignorance, and/or an inability to look past the Hungarian Rhapsodies.
My website - www.andrewwrightpianist.com
Info and samples from my first commercial album - https://youtu.be/IlRtSyPAVNU
My SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/andrew-wright-35

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: March 18, 2007, 09:19:04 PM
The hungarian rhapsodies are actually very beautifull. The lassans are full of amazing melodies and interesting harmonies, and the so are the friskas. Extiement is an emotion to.

What I consider Liszt's non serious works are thing like Grand Gallop Cromatique, etc wich is just a show piece.

Liszt has so many sides, and one has to know them all.

The show-man, the gypsy, the priest, the futurist and the philosopher. Listen to his late pieces they are abseloutly amazing. I am thinking about pieces like Unstern and La Lugubre Gondola, these pieces makes me cry.

But Ronde is of course right, Liszt is much more than the hungarian rhapsodies, he did after all compose the Sonata. Wich alone makes him a great composer.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: March 18, 2007, 09:23:18 PM

i meant the hungarian rhapsodies

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: March 20, 2007, 02:50:04 AM
i think he should stay away from a piano.

LOL touché ;D

His Schumann is nauseating, I wanted to slap him after seeing his vid of the Abegg Variations. *shudder*
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: March 20, 2007, 05:56:41 PM
why? whats wrong with his schumann?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 06:08:18 PM
the only thing i dont like about it is the facial expressions. apart from that  is it not a great performance?

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: March 20, 2007, 06:20:10 PM
LOL touché ;D

His Schumann is nauseating, I wanted to slap him after seeing his vid of the Abegg Variations. *shudder*

his abegg variations are fantastic

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: March 20, 2007, 08:11:01 PM
his abegg variations are fantastic

*cough*sputter*hack*cough*

Uuuuuh, no. Good lord, if people consider LL's as "fantastic" interpretations, no wonder so many people hate Schumann. Even *I* would hate him, if LL was truly a "fantastic" interpreter of him.

Admittedly, if I just listen to (and not watch) his Abegg, I can stand it; but I'd NEVER say it's a great interpretation. He is technically brilliant at it, of course.

But in my opinion, his Schumann is disgusting. It's either overly sentimentalized or simply rushed through, with no depth whatsoever in either case. He makes it sound like cheap salon music, though Schumann- when played properly- is anything but that. His Kinderszenen in particular is terrifying- he has some strange ideas about interpreting that piece, heh.
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline rach n bach

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: March 20, 2007, 08:14:49 PM

I agree here...

Uuuuuh, no. Good lord, if people consider LL's as "fantastic" interpretations, no wonder so many people hate Schumann. Even *I* would hate him, if LL was truly a "fantastic" interpreter of him.

Admittedly, if I just listen to (and not watch) his Abegg, I can stand it; but I'd NEVER say it's a great interpretation. He is technically brilliant at it, of course.

heehee, see the poll...

But in my opinion, his Schumann is disgusting. It's either overly sentimentalized or simply rushed through, with no depth whatsoever in either case. He makes it sound like cheap salon music, though Schumann- when played properly- is anything but that. His Kinderszenen in particular is terrifying- he has some strange ideas about interpreting that piece, heh.

Agreed again, although I think that he makes ALL music sound like "cheap salon music."  He just caters to the masses too much for me.

RnB
I'm an optimist... but I don't think it's helping...

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: March 20, 2007, 10:31:29 PM
His Kinderszenen in particular is terrifying- he has some strange ideas about interpreting that piece, heh.

In our day and age, people are aware of the truth about paedophilia, but back then - people were naive.

The truth is, back then, to write a piece about children as an adult, was OK, noone thought about it, but Lang Lang in his post-modern ideological interpretation of this piece utters that which has been left unspoken 'till now, his interpretation lifts the lid and reveals the seethig underbelly of Schumann's extremely perverse psyche.

Open you eyes to Lang Lang also, as his visual representation reveals the truth in what he plays, and sometimes we just don't like the truth.

We must face it, or remain ignorant, as you appear to be.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: March 20, 2007, 10:41:19 PM
We must face it, or remain ignorant, as you appear to be.

Pot calling the kettle black.... :P

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: March 20, 2007, 11:00:26 PM
In this context your 'hypothesis' holds no weight.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: March 20, 2007, 11:29:15 PM
In this context your 'hypothesis' holds no weight.

My hypothesis? That was an idiom.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: March 20, 2007, 11:31:10 PM
eh?? i dont get how you think its played like salon music. its wonderfully articulated, and he has a fantastic sense of where the music is going and great ability to make the piano sing and make it sound like it really should. how is it like salon music??

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: March 20, 2007, 11:40:02 PM
eh?? i dont get how you think its played like salon music. its wonderfully articulated, and he has a fantastic sense of where the music is going and great ability to make the piano sing and make it sound like it really should. how is it like salon music??

Forget it.

Offline el nino

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: March 20, 2007, 11:45:48 PM

ok you are obviously quite dimwitted person. his ideas are beautiful but still they do not distroy the laws of style. if he is such a bad pianist then he would not be the current biggest pianistic star. ok i agree he sometimes exaggerates. but everything he does comes from the hearth and i dont care if he has a crazy coreography or is calm as horowitz,its all about what his music produces. and it produces magic to me. he is the only pianist who has made me cry. that is the biggest thing a pianist can do. 

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: March 20, 2007, 11:56:18 PM
A bit of extraction is in order.

ok you are obviously quite dimwitted person. 

For stating an opinion? Hmmm, you may not last long on that argument.

his ideas are beautiful but still they do not distroy the laws of style.

I would not state your own opinion as fact after dissing someone else's opinion.

if he is such a bad pianist then he would not be the current biggest pianistic star.

Um... actually, he's the biggest pianistic star because he has found a way to separate himself from the rest, a way to stand out as a unique performer. And we can at least give him credit for that, for were it otherwise this discussion would not be taking place.

Personally, I think his musicality is nothing compared to many pianists in the past as well as some in the present.

ok i agree he sometimes exaggerates. but everything what he does comes from the hearth and i dont care if he has a crazy coreography or is calm as horowitz,its all about what his music produces. and it produces magic to me.

Of course it comes from the heart! How do you suppose anybody would play if they didn't feel any passion for the instrument? And based on his motions at the bench, I'd say Lang Lang has a thing for the instrument...that just might go beyond their strictly professional relationship.  ;D

he is the only pianist who has made me cry. that is the biggest thing a pianist can do. 

Taking breath away is, to me, even more powerful.

Besides, Lang Lang has made me cry too...for different reasons.  8)

Phil

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: March 21, 2007, 01:00:07 AM
My hypothesis? That was an idiom.

Just because I am 'hot' does not mean I am either a pot or a kettle.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: March 21, 2007, 01:16:26 AM
ok you are obviously quite dimwitted person.

I obviously don't have an intellect at the same level of yours, tis true.

his ideas are beautiful but still they do not distroy the laws of style.

"But" don't destroy the laws of style? Are you sure you worded that the way you intended?

if he is such a bad pianist then he would not be the current biggest pianistic star.

Charmingly naive opinion. I suppose you would also think that Britney Spears is talented.

he is the only pianist who has made me cry.

He makes me cry, too. ::)

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: March 21, 2007, 01:17:29 AM
Just because I am 'hot' does not mean I am either a pot or a kettle.

Go date a psychologist, you lunatic.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: March 21, 2007, 01:26:56 AM
The first to bite is always the one with the most hunger :).
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: March 21, 2007, 01:41:27 AM
"The saga continues; Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang"
  - ODB a.k.a Big Baby Jesus
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: March 21, 2007, 03:33:07 AM
The first to bite is always the one with the most hunger :).

Heh. 10/2 trying to be profound is almost as amusing as a pig trying to fly. But not quite.

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: March 21, 2007, 03:35:10 AM
Heh. comme trying to be profound is almost as amusing as a pig trying to fly. But not quite.

fixed.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: March 21, 2007, 03:43:30 AM
Heh. 10/2 trying to be profound is almost as amusing as a pig trying to fly. But not quite.

Me 'trying' anything would only be an abuse of my inborn ability to effortlessly execute anything I so wish.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #90 on: March 21, 2007, 03:51:18 AM
Me 'trying' anything would only be an abuse of my inborn ability to effortlessly execute anything I so wish.

Then you clearly have a very abusive nature; for not only do you merely try, you always fail.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: March 21, 2007, 03:57:17 AM
Name one example of me failing at something I have tried at :).
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: March 21, 2007, 03:58:53 AM

Auw, only one?

Ocean etude.

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: March 21, 2007, 04:00:35 AM

life.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: March 21, 2007, 04:09:55 AM
Auw, only one?

Ocean etude.

I own the world record for the fastest Ocean etude ever recorded, hardly failed.

And who said I even tried?

life.

Ouch! good one! ::)

How do you work that one out?

I effortlessly flow, day to day, chilling with the breeze.

Plus, I am sure I'm a better pianist than you :).
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: March 21, 2007, 04:13:56 AM
Plus, I am sure I'm a better pianist than you :).

hahahaha, man i laughed really hard at that one.

Offline debussy symbolism

• PS Silver Member
Reply #96 on: March 21, 2007, 04:16:34 AM
Auw, only one?

Ocean etude.

Greetings.

I am so glad that you mentioned that Sarah. ;D However he did actually succeeded in it, for that was not a performance, but a rape. I just hope he treats girls better.

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: March 21, 2007, 04:18:40 AM
I own the world record for the fastest Ocean etude ever recorded, hardly failed.

And who said I even tried?

Too bad you have to be told that it's the ocean etude- otherwise no one would credit you for your "accomplishment" ........not that they do, anyway. ::)

I effortlessly flow, day to day, chilling with the breeze.

Your parents' basement has air conditioning?

Offline jre58591

• PS Silver Member
Reply #98 on: March 21, 2007, 04:19:56 AM
I am so glad that you mentioned that Sarah. ;D However he did actually succeeded in it, for that was not a performance, but a rape. I just hope he treats girls better.

hahahaha, visit the wud u hit it forum on da sdc, come back to this thread, read your response, then see how much you laugh at what you just said.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: March 21, 2007, 04:23:40 AM
hahahaha, man i laughed really hard at that one.

And I wasn't even trying to be funny  :)

Name an etude - Chopin, Liszt, Godowsky, Rachmaninov, your choice.

Name the date.

Time will tell  :)

Too bad you have to be told that it's the ocean etude- otherwise no one would credit you for your "accomplishment" ........not that they do, anyway. ::)

Your parents' basement has air conditioning?

I've never made a serious recording of the piece, however I have been applauded at a live performance.

And my parents have no basement, is this supposed to be a joke?
Da SDC Piano Forum :
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert