Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Cramer etudes  (Read 3934 times)

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Cramer etudes
on: March 16, 2007, 08:52:54 AM
Anyone familiar with the Cramer etudes? Apparently there are two collections, the 60 etudes and the 84 etudes in 4 volumes. I seem to recall my teacher mentioning these etudes along with Moszkowski or Moscheles, as intermediate assignments between Czerny and Chopin.

Offline allthumbs

Re: Cramer etudes
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:12:03 AM
I haven't played any of these pieces, but I do have the entire set.

Should you want any of them, let me know and I'll send them to you.

Cheers

allthumbs
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:43:23 AM
I studied some of the Cramer before I began on the Chopin Etudes. I didn't work on them in any chronological order, my teacher just assigned them based on specific technical issues. They are about 2 pages each, so they don't drag on and on like the Czerny Op. 740. And they are a little more interesting musically. I think they have value for the student preparing for the Moszkowski studies or Chopin Etudes.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 06:32:53 PM
He does seem to have been rather prolific in the study genre.

I have looked at some of them them and went through a few of the 16 nouvelles etudes and 12 etudes melodique.

Not to be ignored as a composer either. I have heard one of his Sonatas at it was rather nice.

I have ordered a couple of his Concerto's to look through. I think someone told me the 8th was lovely.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert