Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Making a recording  (Read 2629 times)

Offline rohansahai

• PS Silver Member
Making a recording
on: March 02, 2004, 01:13:00 PM
Hi! I have to get some of my pieces recorded at a local studio. They've got a good piano but the problem is that the technician does not know much about recording on the piano as most recordings made there are vocal. Can anyone please tell me the position of microphones, number of microphones etc??? Thanks!
Waste of time -- do not read signatures.

Offline glamfolk

• PS Silver Member
Re: Making a recording
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 05:08:23 PM
The microphones and placement are the key to a good recording.  Ribbon and large-diaphragm mics will give a warm sound.  Smaller-diaphragm condenser mics will give a very clear, albeit somewhat smaller tone.   Tube mic preamps can shape the tone and warm it up a lot.  

It helps to have a near-field mic (close) and a room mic (far away) to balance out the overall tone, but be careful when using multiple mics, because phase problems can result.  That's when the peak of a sound wave reaches one mic at the same time the trough of the wave reaches another mic, resulting in an echo-y, hollow, overly quiet tone.

It will really help to do some research on piano microphone mic placement before you go in.  There are several web sites devoted to the subject.  

If the engineer doesn't know much about piano mics and placement, I would highly recommend either a) Using an additional  engineer or producer with lots of experience (this is a really comon practice, so don't worry about stepping on the engineer's toes, and might save you loads of money in the long run), or b)using a studio that does this a lot.  

Good luck!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert