Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What are these?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
What are these?
on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:10 AM
What's a german 7th chord?
anyone know?

And how about the Italian 7th chord?
What is that?

Offline nolan

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are these?
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 06:33:05 AM
I think you are referring to German and Italian Augmented-Sixth chords. There is also the French A6 chord. They are built on the following scale degrees:

Italian: b6 1 #4
French: b6 1 2 #4
German: b6 1 b3 #4

The A6 chords typically resolve outward: #4 up and b6 down. You will have better luck searching for augmented-sixth chords rather than german/italian 7th.

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:25:27 PM
Thank you Nolan - but could you give me an example with note names?

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:36 PM

Italian: b6 1 #4
French: b6 1 2 #4
German: b6 1 b3 #4

His words translated: b6 = flat 6, b3 = flat 3, and #4 = sharp 4, the numbers referring to scale steps.

In C major, these chords would be:
Italian: A-flat - C - F-sharp
French: A-flat - C - D - F-sharp
German: A-flat - C - E-flat - F-sharp

Through an enharmonic change, the German augmented sixth chord becomes the dominant to the Neapolitan:
A-flat - C - E-flat - G-flat resolving to D-flat major

Otherwise, they tend to strongly resolve towards I 6/4 chords.

Walter Ramsey

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:42:49 AM
In C major, these chords would be:
Italian: A-flat - C - F-sharp
French: A-flat - C - D - F-sharp
German: A-flat - C - E-flat - F-sharp

Through an enharmonic change, the German augmented sixth chord becomes the dominant to the Neapolitan:
A-flat - C - E-flat - G-flat resolving to D-flat major

Otherwise, they tend to strongly resolve towards I 6/4 chords.

Walter Ramsey

A flat, C, E flat, G flat would resolve to D flat, but the function of the Gr6 is to resolve to I 6/4 (G  C E G), that's why it's spelled with an F sharp, to lead up to the G instead of the G flat resolving down to the F.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:07:12 PM
A flat, C, E flat, G flat would resolve to D flat, but the function of the Gr6 is to resolve to I 6/4 (G  C E G), that's why it's spelled with an F sharp, to lead up to the G instead of the G flat resolving down to the F.

That's right of course, but through an enharmonic change it will take on another function.  It wouldn't be a German chord anymore, but its origin, the pivot of the modulation to the Neapolitan, would be the German chord.

Walter Ramsey

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 01:51:17 PM
That's right of course, but through an enharmonic change it will take on another function.  It wouldn't be a German chord anymore, but its origin, the pivot of the modulation to the Neapolitan, would be the German chord.

Walter Ramsey

So you're saying the Gr6 chord would be followed by the enharmonic spelling, making it the dominant 7 of Neopolitan?   Why bother spelling it as a Gr6 and then as Aflat7? 

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:11:46 PM
So you're saying the Gr6 chord would be followed by the enharmonic spelling, making it the dominant 7 of Neopolitan?   Why bother spelling it as a Gr6 and then as Aflat7? 

Sorry, I wasn't clear and probably shouldn't have even added it.  I just meant that one of the possibilities for the German chord is to respell it enharmonically, and use it as a dominant chord.  If it is spelled with F-sharp, it's the German chord, which resolves as you said to I 6/4.  I only wanted to point out that the German chord can additionally be used as a pivot, modulatory chord.

Walter Ramsey

Offline cjp_piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:46 AM
Sorry, I wasn't clear and probably shouldn't have even added it.  I just meant that one of the possibilities for the German chord is to respell it enharmonically, and use it as a dominant chord.  If it is spelled with F-sharp, it's the German chord, which resolves as you said to I 6/4.  I only wanted to point out that the German chord can additionally be used as a pivot, modulatory chord.

Walter Ramsey

Gotcha . . . I love theory.   Serious, I'm a music theory nerd.  I teach a small harmony class and we had just talked about Gr6 chords.  I wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand  ;)

I started to feel inadequate when I realized I was in college when I learned about German 6 chords and here they are, 15-16 years old  :o

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 10:25:08 PM
THANKS everyone!
Just saw this followup of replys

I think I have a love-hate relationship with theory.

Why in the world did they  name these chords with nationalities?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:08:17 AM
I never heard an answer to that question.  The theory profs wondered.  The best they could say is that they probably have some association with that region.  Makes sense, but I don't think had any hard, definite proof.

Hopefully, it's not the same monks who labeled the modes.

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert