Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Mazeppa - Live Recording  (Read 3314 times)

Offline shoenberg3

• PS Silver Member
Mazeppa - Live Recording
on: May 02, 2007, 08:21:46 AM
From this year's concert consisting of 6 TEs and other pieces:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/vxghbp
generally working on:
Bach Toccata in g minor
Rachmaninoff 3rd Concerto

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mazeppa - Live Recording
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:23:42 AM
Wow, fantastic! Not much to say here, except maybe im lacking a little...grandioso-like feeling. The middle section is absolutely superb, overall one of the finest recordings ive ever heard. The way you are contrasting between sections is amazing.

Well done!!
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:14:56 PM
In the Rachmaninov sense, I think you definitely got the point of the piece -  your wonderfully natural phrasing in the middle section is something rarely heard. I think you are an extremely brave player for playing the outer sections so fast (which I agree with on an interpretational level since they are so repetitive), but as a consequence it seems to result in inaccuracy and worse, occasionally flimsy/uneven tone. Since you're so damn good, I reckon you'll play this better as time progresses, but still, your performance is a big accomplishment for most pianists.

Btw, you got accepted to Stanford, didn't you?  ;)

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 09:21:12 PM
it sounded a bit weak, and I didn't like when you sort of exaggeratly slowed in some parts, like the end of the cadenza in the beginning, and other spots ( or should i say passage, but that would sound too not good)

otherwise it was bravoish  ;)
i'm not asian

Offline shoenberg3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 09:36:19 PM
Thanks for the comments. I will indeed be going to Stanford. it is sloppy at spots, but live recital recs tend to be pretty messy for a lot of pianists heh.
generally working on:
Bach Toccata in g minor
Rachmaninoff 3rd Concerto

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:32:28 PM
Tony, U ROX MY SOX
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:43:53 AM
is there any video of your perfomance. If so, I'd love to see it. I bet it would be even more
virtuosic  :D
"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert