Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: FOUR siblings just signed up with me--what books do I give them?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Four siblings just signed up with me.  What books do I give them? 

I could give them all the same beginner series....but then would they fight over who was making the most progress?

Or I could make them buy all separate series--one faber, one alfred, etc, but then the parents would have to spend quadruple the money.  Would that bother them?

Has anyone had this situation before?  What's a good solution?

Offline urbanspice

• PS Silver Member
How old are the kids? Depending on that, they would be in different books anyway.
Ex. Alfred
Music For Little Mozarts (4/5) -> Prep Course (5/6) -> Alfred Basic (7-10)-> older beginner

I usually don't put siblings in the same book at the same time.
What you could do is put them in the same series (in books appropriate for their ages) but as they graduate they begin using the older siblings book.

OR

If the mother doesn't want to pay for four different books (and the ages are appropriate for using the same book), give them each a "fun" book that is all their own. The Faber chordtime\pretime series is really great.  Each level has several books - Classics, blues, folk songs, ect. You could also use FMC list of festival songs.

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
I could give them all the same beginner series....but then would they fight over who was making the most progress?

Depends on the ages. From my own experience, while still "beginners" (and quite young), we never really had a rivalry. Once we got to intermediate level music (like Fur Elise, etc.), the rivalry started. Bigtime. Who was going to get assigned k. 545 first?! (for the record, I worked incredibly hard, caught up with my older bro, and got the assignment first. bwahahaha. *ahem*)

You definitely need to make sure you handle it right- I think the most important thing is making sure you assign "equally good" pieces to everyone (us siblings would always accuse eachother of being the teacher's favorite if she assigned him, say, a beethoven minuet, while assigning the other something lame like easy Bartok). I do suggest that each kid has his own music book.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Agree that age may make a difference.  Faber and Alfred both have adult books (or books for older beginners, both of which I have used.  If there are young kids (5-6), Faber has a wonderful new method for 5 and 6 year olds.  I have used it with a young boy and it has worked quite well with him.  His older sister is in the new Alfred series, though I think I like Faber's piano adventures most - at least as a base.  And of course, supplement widely.  With some siblings, I will have them share some books, but not have them play the same pieces.  For some, playing the same pieces can be motivating, for others it will stimulate a bit of rivalry.  It really depends on the personality of each sibling.
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
perhaps give the younger two siblings a preparatory book and the two older a beginner book.  they could all take alternate songs (every other page) but be forced to listen to the other child to make sure they understand what that page is about.  don't require any of them to play the same song for lessons.  if they do on their own - that's ok.  but, probably no assigning of the same piece.

i do think it makes each child feel individual and special.  they have their own 'group' so to speak - and you could also have them play a family recital for their parents every friday night or so.  just to keep them in form.  when parents know what is going on - it's good.  musical families are cool.

Offline keyofc

• PS Silver Member
I have five from same family -   
Since I really like the Music Tree activity books - they all have one of them
(but they are at all different levels) 
For lesson books - I have them all in something different.  I do take their musical taste into consideration if one has a leaning to classical, jazz, or church music.
Even if you use the first book of Alfred - they have 2 kinds of first books.  One that's an all -in-one course, and other that is titled differently (can't remember off top of head), but they both teach same concepts.

I think it's important that they each have their own book.  I usually get them sheet music too -
I have never had anyone complain about money for books.  I don't overdo it - but I don't scrimp too much.

Another thing to consider - are they all girls and just one boy?  I would try to get more "feminime music" which is not hard - for the girls.  And more masculine music for the boys.
How many girls want to learn Yankee Doodle?  How many boys want to learn the easy version of Fur Elise?

Good luck!  It's fun and challenging to teach same family, I think.
Maybe most people don't worry about rivalry - but this must be a more competitive family.  They are always asking me "Is my book more complicated than my brothers?"
"Which duet piece is hardest? Mine, right?"

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert