Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ashburnham Mass. Piano Museum!!!!!  (Read 3223 times)

Offline SteveK

• PS Silver Member
Ashburnham Mass. Piano Museum!!!!!
on: August 27, 2002, 07:15:54 PM
:o  Check out this link !
https://www.ashburnham.org/Frederickcollection/the%20collection.htm

I was allowed to play every one of these pianos!!!!!  :)  When I went there, no one else showed up that day! :( :)  The Fredericks spent a whole day with us!!!  :)  They played and I played!!  My only advice is: do not go on a VERY COLD DAY!!!!!  It was a cold winter day when we went and they keep their heat very low!!!  :) :)  
"And you probably thought I'd play badly?" - Sergei Rachmaninoff.

Offline rich_galassini

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ashburnham Mass. Piano Museum!!!!!
Reply #1 on: December 29, 2002, 10:21:41 PM
Steve,

Pretty neat! I am glad you had fun - How about a little more detail??

Rich Galassini
CUnningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
(215) 991-0834
Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, Pa.
215 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

Offline SteveK

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 08:33:25 PM
OK.  Someone mailed me an article from the New York Times which included pictures and a long description of their experience!  Unlike other museums here, in Ashburnham you are allowed to play the pianos.  They also have concerts in the summer featuring older pianos for the period of the music!  I was placed on their mailing list, but I live 5 hours away so I missed them!  But it was well worth the trip for me as an educational experience.  The museum isn't open every day, so call before you travel!   :)

Offline Dmitri_Shteinberg

• PS Silver Member
[color=Red][Re: Ashburnham Mass. Piano Museum!!!!!
Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 03:47:13 PM
Hi,

And I even had the privilege to play a recital there! On a 1846 Streicher. The Frederciks couple run the concerts for 18 seasons; the pianist or a chamber group perform a program suited for the period of the piano. The oldest instruments are only played by people who make it "their life," so to speak. Some of the concerts occasionally show up on NPR, do not miss! The effort and the achievement of these people are unique. All the instruments are in playable condition and have most of their original parts. I didn't have my views and understanding of the instrument so fundamentally shaken (and refreshed) for a long time.
If you are a MA resident, you are invcited to my next concert there, May 18, on a 1870s Bluthner with late Brahms, late Liszt and Tchaikovsky.

Offline SteveK

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 09:05:25 PM
Hi Dmitri!

Welcome to the Piano Forum! The Fredericks were very nice to me and I did get to play the "old" ones! :) I was very careful not to break any of the piano strings by playing too hard! I played every piano that was playable! My favorite piano was the "Erard" with 90 keys! I would love to hear you play! Perhaps I may be able to go in May 2003! I live near Kingston, NY. Please tell the Fredericks I said, "Hi!" :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert