Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Black Key Etude, Op. 10, No. 5, m27, otave leap?  (Read 4511 times)

Offline ms_elphaba

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Black Key Etude, Op. 10, No. 5

In measure 27, when the does the octave leap occur in the right hand?

I cannot tell if the ocatva applies to that Gb note.

If it follows the patterns set up in the previous measures, that Gb would be as written and the Bb would be up the octave.  This is awkward.

If the Gb is included in the octava the you repeat 12121 in the right hand which seems a little static.

Which is correct?

In my Paderewski edition, the main fingering is 12121 going into measure 27 for the right had.  That suggests the m27 Gb is in the octava.  However, it lists 424 in parentheses which might mean that Gb is where it is written.  But the 424 is only in parentheses.  Maybe that parentheses push the octava marking a little to the right to make it look cleaner?  If you are supposed to jump down, down to where it is written without the octava, why is the fingering written 12121? 

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Black Key Etude, Op. 25, No. 5, m27, otave leap?
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:45:18 PM
First, I think you mean Op.10 No.5.............

Second, what I see in my copy is unambiguous: the 2nd triplet in measure 27 has the high-Bb, then next triplet starts with high-Ab, next trip is high-Gb.

I don't know if that answers your question. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

Offline ms_elphaba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Black Key Etude, Op. 10, No. 5, m27, otave leap?
Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:31:05 PM
Yes.  I meant Op 10, not 25.  I corrected it.

I mean the Gb on beat 1 of measure 27.  Is that Gb supposed to be on the staff where it appears, or is it also up an octave with the rest of the measure?

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Black Key Etude, Op. 10, No. 5, m27, otave leap?
Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 12:28:53 AM
The 8va is on the entire measure of 27 through the end of measure 31.  So then the Gb at the beginning of measure 27 is played an octave higher than it appears on the staff.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert