Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Prelude op. 28, nr. 19 in E-flat: Is it just me?  (Read 4086 times)

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Is it just me or is this sweet and harmless sounding piece nearly unplayable?
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Prelude op. 28, nr. 19 in E-flat: Is it just me?
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 10:44:32 PM
It's also me, so far :P

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:18:22 PM
You'd never know it, but this sweet little prelude is as difficult as many of the etudes. My teacher assigned it to me when I wanted to learn all 24 Preludes. Looking back, I'd say he was trying to discourage me (I never learned them).

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:27:45 AM
there must be a method to the madness.  what is it?  focusing only on the broken octaves and letting the other notes fall where they may.  does anyone notice if a note or two are off?  (can't believe i'm saying this).

one person titled this prelude 'throbbing' because the dynamics alternate going  soft/loud/soft/loud.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:29:03 AM
You'd never know it, but this sweet little prelude is as difficult as many of the etudes.

I think it is not implausible that Chopin, who was working on the etudes op. 25 and the preludes op. 28 at about the same time, originally conceived this piece as an etude rather than a prelude. However, being satisfied with the op. 25 compilation as we know it, he had no place left for this piece and shifted it to the preludes. At least to me, it is as difficult as the most difficult etudes.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:19:35 AM
I wouldn't ever have perceived that piece as "harmless"...
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 03:51:30 PM
Yes, along with 28/12 and perhaps a couple others I'd say it may be the hardest of the set.

It's underrated, op28 are all gems.

Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 04:21:45 PM
I wouldn't ever have perceived that piece as "harmless"...

I just meant to say that it does not strike one as supra-difficult when simply listening to it, unlike preludes 8, 16, and 24, but in reality it is at least as difficult as those three.

Offline dnephi

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:01:02 PM
Depends on your hand size.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert