Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Hardest tonal piece with few notes?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Hardest tonal piece with few notes?
on: June 13, 2007, 10:32:03 AM
What is the hardest "good" and mostly  tonal piece with only a few notes?

Hamelin´s triple etude based on Chopin gets my vote.

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hardest tonal piece with few notes?
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:50:30 AM

What do you call "with only a few notes" ? Hamelin's triple etude has, hem, a bunch of notes IMHO.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:52:41 AM
What do you call "with only a few notes" ? Hamelin's triple etude has, hem, a bunch of notes IMHO.

Few compared to OC  and many other works

Short piece would be a better decription perhaps

Offline Etude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08:51 PM
Techically, I think Barlow's Cogluotobusisletmesi goes through some tonal spots.

But it has just a bit more than a few notes.

Offline dnephi

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 04:16:15 PM
On that subject, A Beethoven Adagio or a Bach Fugue.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:46:13 AM
An enlightened debate over these 'most difficult' questions would be impossible without the practical realisation of precisely what IS difficult about the learning and execution of a piece of piano music.

2 primary areas -

Co-ordination and memorisation of note sequences
Something is more difficult if it is more complex and longer in this regard.

The other is actual execution by the mechanism - the realm of mechanique.
If perfect accuracy is assumed, then speed of mechanism is the primary difficulty in this area.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 11:44:05 AM
Shouldn't playing the hardest piece be considered the most difficult achivement possible on the piano? If person x can play the msot difficult piece in the world then one should assume that this person have done the most difficult thing possible on the piano. Sadly this is not the case. It is pointless to disscuss what is the most difficult piece on the piano. Isn't more interesting from a purely pianistic perspective to try to find out what is the most impressive pianistic feat one can do?

"Playing" a piece doesn't reveal anything about you. Just think of the Chopin etudes for instance. What do we learn about Gavrilov after hearing him play the Chopin etudes? And what do we learn about Rusnak after hearing him play the same pieces?

Well that Gavrilov has a world-class technic and that Rusnak doesn't. "Playing" a piece doesn't tell anything about your technic, it is how you do it that matters.

Another example is the Opus Clavicembalisticum.  Often regarded as one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire. Madge has played this piece. So one would just assume he has one of the greatest technics ever to "play" such a difficult piece. But this is also wrong. Because when one listens to Powell play this piece, one realises that while Madge may have "played" the piece there are technical flaws EVERYWHERE. Still Madge can say that he has "played" the piece. But Powell's achivement is FAR greater, even though they have played the same piece. One could assume that if two people play the same piece they have done the exact same achivement, but this is NOT the case.

Offline pianogeek_cz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:26 PM
Plus, I'll ALWAYS pick Gavrilov's rendition of Prokofiev 8th sonata over pretty much any Opus Clavinovabasiliscum rec  ;D

Seriously...

I think if we accept Hamelin's triple etude as having a few notes, this thread loops back to the forever-repeated What's the world's hardest... etc. Let's talk about pieces which aren't as harsh to the ink cartridges.

So... my vote goes for Bach's (late?) stuff. Sure, you could argue that technically speaking, Bach is not -that- demanding, compared to Liszt etc., but (a) more white than black, which pretty much rules the harder Liszt & co. stuff out, and (b), who said anything about "technically speaking"? I think that once inkblot-scores are disqualified from competition, the difficulty that remains stops being physical and starts inching towards musical imagination. And with Bach... we all know you have to concentrate sometimes on as much as five melodies simultaneously, independently and as a whole at the same time, constantly checking each one of them by ear (SUCH a bugger with long notes in weak dynamics), etc., etc. And let's not forget the work you have to do before even touching the piano (assuming that you're working with Urtext or decide to disregard the editor's input to Bach's manuscript) - think the whole friggin' thing through, both individual voices and all together, articulation, dynamics, etc. I would actually go for Bach as hardest overall to master and perform convincingly. Maybe, big maybe, Shosty comes close in the interpretative difficulties, but in a wholly different aspect (how do you laugh =at= the audience?). Mozart, too, is very hard as regards clarity and being colorful and convincing with a comparatively small amount of notes to do it on.

Long rant. Go practice.  ::)
Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz (Without cunning a nation shall fall,  Salvation Come By Many Good Counsels)

Offline jabbz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 09:56:22 PM
I personally think to make the first movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata anything but dull and over played is remarkable. Really, it's so overdone, and done so terribly. Other than that, yeah, Bach is a killer.

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:23:09 PM
Shouldn't playing the hardest piece be considered the most difficult achivement possible on the piano? If person x can play the msot difficult piece in the world then one should assume that this person have done the most difficult thing possible on the piano. Sadly this is not the case. It is pointless to disscuss what is the most difficult piece on the piano. Isn't more interesting from a purely pianistic perspective to try to find out what is the most impressive pianistic feat one can do?

"Playing" a piece doesn't reveal anything about you. Just think of the Chopin etudes for instance. What do we learn about Gavrilov after hearing him play the Chopin etudes? And what do we learn about Rusnak after hearing him play the same pieces?

Well that Gavrilov has a world-class technic and that Rusnak doesn't. "Playing" a piece doesn't tell anything about your technic, it is how you do it that matters.

Another example is the Opus Clavicembalisticum.  Often regarded as one of the most difficult pieces in the repertoire. Madge has played this piece. So one would just assume he has one of the greatest technics ever to "play" such a difficult piece. But this is also wrong. Because when one listens to Powell play this piece, one realises that while Madge may have "played" the piece there are technical flaws EVERYWHERE. Still Madge can say that he has "played" the piece. But Powell's achivement is FAR greater, even though they have played the same piece. One could assume that if two people play the same piece they have done the exact same achivement, but this is NOT the case.

True.

It's not just what you play, it's more how you play it.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:20:05 AM
Re: Hardest tonal piece with  few notes?

its got to be a fugue i dont know which or by who but true fugues
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 01:23:04 AM

I think the theme to Beethoven's Diabelli Variations - read the Rosen analysis of it.

Walter Ramsey
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert