Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Pedaling in the opening of Liszt's Second Ballade  (Read 3064 times)

Offline nomis

• PS Silver Member
Pedaling in the opening of Liszt's Second Ballade
on: June 30, 2007, 12:37:09 PM
Hi,

In the opening of Liszt's second Ballade, it says con pedal but I'm unsure as to how to pedal the chromatic passages in the left hand. How would you pedal it?

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pedaling in the opening of Liszt's Second Ballade
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 03:17:19 PM
I'd guess a pedal going up the scale, a pedal going down the scale, adjusted to your ear's satisfaction.

Some see this as a programmatic piece, such as Claudio Arrau who applies the story of Hero and Leander from Greek Mythology. In this case that bass passage creates the idea of swimming through a troubled sea, and I suppose a foreshadowing of Leander's fate is an ever present undercurrent.     
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:45:52 PM
...for the stand-alone LH chromatic runs, I pedalled at the beginning and in the middle of each bar. When RH comes in, I pedalled similarly and changed my pedal whenever the melody changes in other places.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 10:13:08 PM
Loads of flutter pedal.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline minstrel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:39:28 AM
also try 1/2 pedal, 1/4 pedal.

there are really only two things you can adjust with the pedal.. how far you press it down, and how long you hold it.

listen to your ear, and/or a tape recorder.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert