DA ROBBAH
4 (26.7%)
both
5 (33.3%)
NONE! I PLAY BETTER THAN THEM!
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: DUEL: prongated vs rob47: J.S. Bach, WTK bk II no 18 in G# minor  (Read 8389 times)

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
...as said, I'm not very pleased with the prelude - it's too fast, the mordents/turns are crap, and dynamics are pretty much non-existent...

...but here is. Step in, rob47 ^^

ps. while at it, may I point you to: https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,24050.0.html? I'd muchly appreciate comments and criticisms for the "re-recorded" attempt. Thanks!

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
i just woke up/one take/very rusty/my folks walked in the door near the end 8)

but as is the famous wolfi quote "duel is duel, deadline is deadline" or somthing

respect 8)
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
My vote goes to da RRRRRRROOOOOOOBAH, which is actually a surprise to me as I didn't know he could actually play. :P 8) Nice work guys!
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
My vote goes to da RRRRRRROOOOOOOBAH, which is actually a surprise to me as I didn't know he could actually play. :P 8) Nice work guys!

How blind you are.
Da SDC Piano Forum :
https://www.dasdc.net/

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
How blind you are.

???

two very nice recordings, indeed!

I don't understand, what you mean with "how blind you are"?
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Nicely done, guys! This is what the audition room is about!

Both excellent interpretations of one of the coolest P&Fs, but I preferred prongated's more exciting (yet still well controlled) tempo in the prelude.

Cheers.  :)

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
How blind you are.

Haahaha true, da ROBBAH is now a legend.  8)

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
???

two very nice recordings, indeed!

I don't understand, what you mean with "how blind you are"?
ahaha anyone who knows da ROB or witnezzed hiz genius (rocky1zon or TE10) will never zay anything lyk this
Piano = my life
My life = piano

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
ahaha anyone who knows da ROB or witnezzed hiz genius (rocky1zon or TE10) will never zay anything lyk this

a-ha insider joke  - not funny for outsiders  8)

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member

...ooooh shall we continue with a TE10 duel then? ;D

Poll added...cast your preferences ^^

...hmmm quite a different way of playing, rob...when I saw it's 9 minutes something, I thought you did the repeats...then there's dynamics...so, much thanks for showing me this in a different light!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Just short for now: actually I ike both approaches, though I actually also think, that prongated might do a bit more dynamics, especially in the sigh-motifs of the prelude. Rob's very passionate and tragical style is something that speaks directly to me, but sometimes it tends to be a bit heavy whereas prongate's interpretation has the non-legato- leggiero- lightness. Respect to both! 8) Very interesting to listen to such different interpretations. Actually a sort of draw to me.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
i just listened to mine and for sure the prelude didnt turn out how i wanted (hangover?) i hadnt played it for 2 weeks and all the other previous excuses i have made..... 8)

ne way prongated yours is great! very lyrical
Quote from: prongated
...ooooh shall we continue with a TE10 duel then? ;D

as for a TE10 battle i am not big on it these days but heres a famous clip from the SDC of what my interp 2 years ago sounded something like: 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV59WsbXV0E

edit: good call on adding a poll
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member
How blind you are.

I may be blind, but at least I ain't dumb.   8)
[lau] 10:01 pm: like in 10/4 i think those little slurs everywhere are pointless for the music, but I understand if it was for improving technique

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
I may be blind, but at least I ain't dumb.   8)

Really? :)
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline Mozartian

• PS Silver Member

Offline opus10no2

• PS Silver Member
 :) Cute.
Da SDC Piano Forum :

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
So rob47 is one of these speed freaks? 

Then his Bach is really surprising  :)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
They are both great recordings
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
as for a TE10 battle i am not big on it these days but heres a famous clip from the SDC of what my interp 2 years ago sounded something like: 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV59WsbXV0E

Ahahahaha niiiiiiice! I'd expect only the likes of Cziffra to do something like that in that mini-cadenza hahaha!

hmmm I realised I should've added that 4th choice for the poll...if anyone chooses that option, you should:

a) identify yourself, then
b) submit your own rec of this piece...or set another duel :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert