Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata Op 14 no2  (Read 7269 times)

Offline mattgreenecomposer

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Sonata Op 14 no2
on: July 14, 2007, 11:56:00 AM
It has a few glitches but I couldn't find this Sonata on the internet so I thought I'd post it.  for some reason it's not very popular.

Download free sheet music at mattgreenecomposer.com

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata Op 14 no2
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 09:23:18 PM
I like that sonata a lot! You play it with cleanliness and very steady pulse. Good command and beatiful tone. But I must say I think it needs way more drama than what you give it. I find it too uneventful the way you do it here.

Will you do the other two movements?

Offline mattgreenecomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:57:35 AM
Yes, Unfortunately the video camera makes FF sound like mf and pp sound like mf as well.  I probably should post an audio example alone with better sound quality.  I find that a video is much more interesting to listen to and watch than just audio so that's why I posted it. hmmmm, what is everyone elses opinion on this I wonder?  (Video or just audio)
Download free sheet music at mattgreenecomposer.com

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 05:09:06 PM
Yes, Unfortunately the video camera makes FF sound like mf and pp sound like mf as well.  I probably should post an audio example alone with better sound quality.  I find that a video is much more interesting to listen to and watch than just audio so that's why I posted it. hmmmm, what is everyone elses opinion on this I wonder?  (Video or just audio)
OK, I should start of by saying that your performance is respectable in that you got through it with a fair degree of musicality; so it's not a question of whether or not you can play the piano.

That said, achieving the drama suggested by daniloperusina is not only a question of dynamics, but also a question of phrasing, articulation, etc. I think you could think about these, along with the concept of gesture. I must say, however, that near the end, your playing seems to flow more naturally (maybe the nerves went away). It is only here that one finally gets a sense that the music is 'breathing', per se.

So, for example, try thinking of the opening motive in the right hand as a single gesture. I will post a video on Youtube to demonstrate what I mean. Please don't take it as me being a pompous ***, I sincerely want to help.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert