Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Jazz v Classical thinking [Bob project]  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Jazz v Classical thinking [Bob project]
on: March 24, 2004, 08:07:33 AM
Has anyone noticed the differences between the way jazz pianists think compared to classical?  I've toyed around with reharmonizing things and "improvising" with the melody of a classical piece.  It really changed my perspective of the piece.   :o

Any thoughts?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Re: Jazz v Classical thinking
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 01:21:44 PM
Jazz people think more musical, more like the actual composers that classical musicians play. Classical musicians don't really know what they want to do. They start as kids and learn to play the notes because their parents sent them to lessons. Later they actually start to like the music(or if they don't they quit). But at this point they have no musical goal. They just play the music everyone else played before, and probably much better. Of course we need some good concert pianist and some full orchestras. But those jobs are almost that, jobs. Just like building a car or any other product.

But jazz musicians are beginging to suffer from the same syndrome now.

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Re: Jazz v Classical thinking
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 10:00:51 AM
i know this may sound weird, but i would disagree with you daevren if only i didn't agree with you.

why do classical musicians seem to think they're job stops at the performance of old pieces- that is where it just begins!
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert