Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: The Music dictionary...  (Read 2942 times)

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
The Music dictionary...
on: July 26, 2007, 03:59:48 PM
Just noticed something. :)

I was trying to find a definition by using the PianoStreet's music dictionary and when I clicked "translate"...it informed me that I needed to be a Gold Member! Surely we can view something as simple as a music definition!?!

Can't Nils allow us to view something as simple as that?

G.W.K
When I'm right, no one remembers. When I'm wrong, no one forgets!

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Music dictionary...
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 07:40:23 PM
Nils,

Can't you allow us to view simple things so we don't have to resort to searching on search engines?

G.W.K

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:46:04 PM
https://op111.com/musicdictionary.htm

Strangely enough this is the owner of PianoStreet.

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:38:27 PM
How odd...it is the same dictionary but if you try to use the one on PianoStreet...you have to pay!

What is the point in that? LOL

G.W.K

Offline rimv2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 04:00:31 AM
How odd...it is the same dictionary but if you try to use the one on PianoStreet...you have to pay!

G.W.K

$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D$ ;D

And now that the truth is exposed, what-shall-we-do  8)
(\_/)                     (\_/)      | |
(O.o)                   (o.O)   <(@)     
(>   )> Ironically[/url] <(   <)

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 10:38:44 AM

G.W.K

The point for only offering it here for gold members is to get people utilizing the Piano Street website to also support it financially.

The current setup is of course not logical and fair but we will do a major remake of the op111.com site soon and then the free version there will either be removed or (less likely) the version on pianostreet.com made freely available. In the meantime, feel free to use the op111.com version!

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 11:04:05 AM
I understand the financial reasons but what is the point in removing a dictionary? Surely there are more important and worthwhile things you can no longer make free?

???

G.W.K

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 10:47:46 PM
https://op111.com/musicdictionary.htm

Strangely enough this is the owner of PianoStreet.

Many thanks!  I have added it to my bookmarks.

Walter Ramsey

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:56:25 AM
wow there are a TON of misspellings in that.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 09:20:49 PM
wow there are a TON of misspellings in that.
You mean that there IS a ton of misspellings in that (no offence intended - just felt like abit of momentary pedantry)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 08:36:43 AM
You mean that there IS a ton of misspellings in that (no offence intended - just felt like abit of momentary pedantry)...

Best,

Alistair

Technically either is correct, as "ton" denotes a numeric in this instance.  I am, unfortunately, going to have to politely disagree with "offence" and "abit" though 8)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:56:20 AM
I am, unfortunately, going to have to politely disagree with "offence" and "abit" though 8)
Well, I'm pleased to see you doing it politely, although I should perhaps explain that the first of these embraces the difference between British English spelling and American ditto that has an "s" in place of the "c" whereas the rather more obscure second is a peculiar Benjamin Brittenism which I and a number of colleagues have somehow gotten into the habit of adopting (Britten's spelling was quite remarkably poor, although he was well aware of this and admited to it on occasion).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 06:47:08 PM
Well, I'm pleased to see you doing it politely, although I should perhaps explain that the first of these embraces the difference between British English spelling and American ditto that has an "s" in place of the "c" whereas the rather more obscure second is a peculiar Benjamin Brittenism which I and a number of colleagues have somehow gotten into the habit of adopting (Britten's spelling was quite remarkably poor, although he was well aware of this and admited to it on occasion).

Best,

Alistair

Did you know Britten?  It's just beginning to dawn on me that we have a member here who has probably met and talked shop with some of the major British musicians of the century.  Is this a fair representation?  I'd love to hear more.

Walter Ramsey

. .

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:12:57 AM

Did you know Britten?  It's just beginning to dawn on me that we have a member here who has probably met and talked shop with some of the major British musicians of the century.  Is this a fair representation?  I'd love to hear more.

Walter Ramsey
I did not know him well, sadly and I met him at a time when he was (a) already suffering quite badly from the poor health that was finally to claim him at so early an age and (b) struggling against pretty heavy odds to complete his final opera Death in Venice. He took a considerable and generous interest in my work at the time and offered no small encuargement to me, which not only delighted but somewhat surprised me, for I would have thought that quite a substantial proportion of the music that most excited me at the time would not have been his glass of nectar at all (Mahler being perhaps the most notable exception in terms of common ground although, even in those days, Mahler was by no means as widely performed as he is now, especially in UK). I remember especially his extraordinary ability to speak in long and well-constructed sentences as though he had written them beforehand yet at the same time sounding (and obviously being) entirely spontaneous in his expression.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline soliloquy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 10:07:40 PM
I remember especially his extraordinary ability to speak in long and well-constructed sentences as though he had written them beforehand yet at the same time sounding (and obviously being) entirely spontaneous in his expression.

Best,

Alistair

So, perhaps Britten is more of an influence than we thought.

Offline G.W.K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 10:16:12 PM
Hello!?!

Can someone point out what this has to do with the original topic? If you want to talk about something else: you either go on the Chat, send an e-mail or start a new thread. Please do not do it on other people's posts.

G.W.K

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 10:46:01 PM
Hello!?!

Can someone point out what this has to do with the original topic?
For what it may or may not be worth (to you or anyone else), I presume that its connection with the topic is at least that Britten would always have an entry in such a dictionary and if someone here chooses - as they have done - to ask a legitimate question about such an entrant, then so be it - but if you think that such a question should not have been asked in this thread, then please address your concern directly to whomsoever asked it.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 01:05:47 PM
I did not know him well, sadly and I met him at a time when he was (a) already suffering quite badly from the poor health that was finally to claim him at so early an age and (b) struggling against pretty heavy odds to complete his final opera Death in Venice. He took a considerable and generous interest in my work at the time and offered no small encuargement to me, which not only delighted but somewhat surprised me, for I would have thought that quite a substantial proportion of the music that most excited me at the time would not have been his glass of nectar at all (Mahler being perhaps the most notable exception in terms of common ground although, even in those days, Mahler was by no means as widely performed as he is now, especially in UK). I remember especially his extraordinary ability to speak in long and well-constructed sentences as though he had written them beforehand yet at the same time sounding (and obviously being) entirely spontaneous in his expression.

Best,

Alistair

Fascinating!  Many thanks.

Walter Ramsey

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 03:19:59 PM
Fascinating!  Many thanks.

Walter Ramsey
You're very welcome.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert