Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt and his use of the diminished chord  (Read 8049 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Liszt and his use of the diminished chord
on: August 18, 2007, 09:53:32 PM
A musician colleague of mine (non pianist) commented on observing Liszt has a fondness for the diminished chord.  Anyone care to discuss? 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt and his use of the diminished chord
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:21:54 PM
A musician colleague of mine (non pianist) commented on observing Liszt has a fondness for the diminished chord.  Anyone care to discuss? 

I think it is a characteristic of later Romantic composers in general (I believe Berlioz said the same thing about Wagner).  Perhaps its dramatic effect was draining so they felt it needed to be inserted more and more often... but actually, for me, Liszt's music is not typified by diminished sevenths in the way that earlier Wagner, ie Fliegender Holländer or Lohengrin can be.  I think it might take a certain determined effort to notice lots of diminished sevenths in Liszt´s music, since he uses everything to such great effect.

Walter Ramsey

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 12:09:22 AM
I wonder if Bach didn't use the diminished chord almost as much as romantic composers.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 09:03:00 PM

He used the diminished chord in three ways that I can think of off the top of my head:

- as a substitute for the dominant, often in tonicizing passages

- as a none functional chord

- to harmonize the chromatic scale (kind of what I mean by the above)

I think that a good work to study would be his Trascendental Etude No 10. Here he applies the chord to all of the above.

SJ

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 01:38:27 AM
what about

-because it sounded cool at the time

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 02:09:16 AM
The diminished seventh chord equally divides the octave, so you can never tell what inversion it is in, and hence you cannot tell what key it belongs to.  So it's a harmonic "skeleton key" that unlocks the door to any tonal region you want.  It's ambiguity and usefulness in remote modulations make it a favorite of some composers.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 03:20:02 AM
It also wasn't used by many earlier composers because of the stigma attached to the tritone.  Diminished chords contain tritones, and tritones are the "devil's interval".  lol
If I remember correctly...  ;)
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 12:15:14 PM
what about

-because it sounded cool at the time

Absolutely. It sounded cool when used in those ways!

Im sure more composers found ways for it to sound shite  ;)

SJ

Offline indutrial

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 04:18:14 PM
The diminished seventh chord equally divides the octave, so you can never tell what inversion it is in, and hence you cannot tell what key it belongs to.  So it's a harmonic "skeleton key" that unlocks the door to any tonal region you want.  It's ambiguity and usefulness in remote modulations make it a favorite of some composers.

Good explanation. In terms of tonal music, the diminished seventh is amorphous. Same with the whole tone scale, which can pull to a variety of tonalities depending on how it's used.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 04:26:57 PM

Also true of the octatonic scale.

Rimsky Korsakov used this symmetrical scales in his operas when dealing with the supernatural. He'd give the more 'worldly' characters and situations fairly diatonic themes in contrast. I guess he felt that the lack of fixed tonal center and limited familiarity within the target audience gave these chords and scales something other worldly.

Another cool example would be Stravinsky's Petrushka chord, taken again from the octatonic scale.

this cool stuff!

SJ

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 02:58:16 AM
Also true of the octatonic scale.

Rimsky Korsakov used this symmetrical scales in his operas when dealing with the supernatural. He'd give the more 'worldly' characters and situations fairly diatonic themes in contrast. I guess he felt that the lack of fixed tonal center and limited familiarity within the target audience gave these chords and scales something other worldly.

Another cool example would be Stravinsky's Petrushka chord, taken again from the octatonic scale.

this cool stuff!

SJ

Very important!  the octatonic scale inspired a lot of post-Lisztian composers, including Bartok, Stravinsky (also in his later music), Rachmaninoff, and others.  You can find octatonic scales hidden in Romantic harmony in Liszt, for instance in the opening cadenzas of Totentanz.

Walter Ramsey

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 04:00:46 PM

Very important!  the octatonic scale inspired a lot of post-Lisztian composers, including Bartok, Stravinsky (also in his later music), Rachmaninoff, and others.  You can find octatonic scales hidden in Romantic harmony in Liszt, for instance in the opening cadenzas of Totentanz.

Walter Ramsey

Also a VERY cool little octatonic nugget in Chopin Op 10 No 9.

I like the octatonic and whole tone collections used in this way - as moments of tonal ambiguity in otherwise tonal settings.

SJ

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 04:14:50 AM
Liszt had a fondness for the diminished seventh, which is why a lot of his not-so-inspired music sounds like bad silent movie music.

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:03:55 PM

Is it true to say that liszt used it very frequently and hence was one of the first to hint at atonality or is that statement a bridge too far?

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 07:18:29 PM
Is it true to say that liszt used it very frequently and hence was one of the first to hint at atonality or is that statement a bridge too far?

Liszt actually wrote an atonal piece. I read a paper once proposing that he was predicted a system of 'pantonality' over a hundred years before Schoenberg came up with serialism. Lizst's innovative use of chromaticism is, imo, without question a prelude to this, yes.

Sj

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 07:32:15 PM
Do you mean Nuages Gris? I'm not sure I'd call it atonal. I do like it though.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 07:47:07 PM
Do you mean Nuages Gris? I'm not sure I'd call it atonal. I do like it though.

No, he actually wrote a piece that was completely atonal. I cant think of the title, but it was some kind of experiment. I'll try to find it.

SJ

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 07:48:42 PM

Nuages Gris is pretty close to the line too. It sounds very impressionistic to me. Once again, Liszt preempts a significant musical development by a long shot!

SJ

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 07:52:03 PM
It definitely pushes the harmonic language for its time. I think he wrote it after he'd had a fall and had been bed-bound for a few months or something.
If he did write a truly atonal piece, I'd be fascinated to hear it. I really like Liszt's later works.

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 07:56:09 PM
It definitely pushes the harmonic language for its time. I think he wrote it after he'd had a fall and had been bed-bound for a few months or something.
If he did write a truly atonal piece, I'd be fascinated to hear it. I really like Liszt's later works.

Me too! I'll have a mooch for you.

SJ

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 08:00:22 PM

Liszt - 'Bagatelle without tonality', S216a

SJ

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 08:51:21 PM
Wow. Thanks. I'll check it out.

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 09:20:46 PM
I found a free recording on classiccat. Just had a listen. I definitely wouldn't call it atonal. He starts in b-minor. He does try to keep changing key, so as to avoid a tonal centre, but he spends a lot of the piece in b-minor, and quite a while in d# minor. He does avoid a cadential ending, so that gives it some tonal ambiguity. I like it, but I wouldn't call it atonal. Just experimental.
What do you think of it?

Offline steve jones

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 10:04:39 PM

I think the chromaticism is enough to make it seem atonal by the standards of the day. I perceive a constantly shifting tonality rather than atonality.

That said, pantonality is what Liszt preempted I believe, meaning an a tonality in a constant state of chromatic 'flux'. I think that pretty much describes this work.

SJ
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert