Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Tired mind? [Bob project]  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Tired mind? [Bob project]
on: April 01, 2004, 01:09:16 AM
After a long day, my mind stops working.  Any suggestions as to how to get it going again.  I just can't think.  This is very annoying, and I have to things to do.  Too much to mentally chew up and digest.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tired mind?
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 03:11:25 AM
Man, I can totally relate. Sometimes I have a real problem dragging myself to the piano after work and concentrating properly.
For me, the major problem is the feeling that practicing in such a state is daunting, so it's more of a psychological problem than a real problem. When I feel like this, I pick a piece to work on and then only work on one aspect of it, usually very slowly. Like, with a Bach fugue I've got to do, practicing hands together with a metronome and concentrating on getting each note perfectly in time. In some ways, playing that slow is easy, but in other ways, it's very hard to get the notes happening at precisely the right time. If I focus on just that one thing, I find that my mind doesn't wander away at all, and the next day, I can always play that fugue very fast much more accurately.
So, yeah, when tired, I just focus on only one thing at a time. I hope that kind of helps you out.
Oh yeah, and a cup of tea always does wonders for me!

Shagdac

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 11:09:37 AM
I have found a brisk bit of exercise and a cool shower to be a real pick me up! For some a "catnap" of 10-20 minutes can do wonders. I think the walk and shower work well for most. Try it and see.
Hope this helps.

Shag :)

Offline tosca1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 11:07:06 AM
Each person has his or her approach to dealing with tiredness and stress at the end of the working day. Exercise is a marvellous stress relief and does wonders for the tired mind and body which are of course part of the same equation.  A brisk walk or a gentle run is most invigorating but if running or walking are not an option there is swimming or gym work.
Try to establish a habit of practising as well which will be your time and increase your motivation to practise.  
If I am quite tired coffee works well for me but strive for a holistic solution in maintaining physical fitness  and leading a balanced and happy life.
Kind regards,
Robert.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert