Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: suggestion on Chopin Etudes edition  (Read 3749 times)

Offline cdavid

• PS Silver Member
suggestion on Chopin Etudes edition
on: April 01, 2004, 07:53:17 PM
Hi wondering what edition of chopin etudes (complete) some of you might recommend.  My local music store only has the alfred available, I was looking for one with more performance suggestions, fingerings, etc.   Is Mikuli preferable over Friedheim or perhaps Cortot.  Much Thanks
CD

Offline rachlisztchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: suggestion on Chopin Etudes edition
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 09:36:26 PM
Cortot is a great edition, i have the Paderewski editiion and i love it ....i also have the dover edition which i highly recommend

the best edition though if u can actually find it is the Polish national chopin edition...its expensive, and very hard to find
its the edition used in the chopin international piano competition

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 12:34:09 AM
Yes, the Alfred Cortot Edition is a must for anybody who wishes to work on them. Truly indispensable.
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor
amateur classical concert pianist

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 01:29:20 AM
The three more authoritative editions are the Paderewsky (edited by Paderewsky, Bronarsky and Turczynsky) the Henle Urtext and the Vienna Urtext (edited by Jan Ekier).

As PeterHK and Rachlisztchopin said, the Cortot edition although not completely accurate is indispensable.

Finally there is an excellent edition by French scholar Edouard Ganache, based on the scores that belonged to Jane Stirling (published by Oxford University Press). Apparently Chopin made pencil marks on her scores just before he died correcting/modifying small details.

If you are looking for performance suggestions, instead of getting a highly edited edition, get one of the Urtexts suggested (which will have Chopin’s original fingerings) and this book:

Eleanor Bailie – Chopin: A grade practical guide (Kahn & Averril)

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert