Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: schubert impromptu op.90 no.2  (Read 20292 times)

Offline yoghurtraspz

• PS Silver Member
schubert impromptu op.90 no.2
on: October 30, 2007, 09:07:11 AM
 :) i think the fingering of this piece is very difficult - do we need to play with pedal for almost the entire piece ?

Offline pianovirus

• PS Silver Member
Re: schubert impromptu op.90 no.2
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:45:41 PM
:) i think the fingering of this piece is very difficult - do we need to play with pedal for almost the entire piece ?

I'd recommend not to touch the pedal before you can play the piece well. You don't need it for the legato. Do you really think the fingering is difficult? It's mostly normal scales. Maybe you start practicing too fast? In any case, enjoy working on this great piece!
youtube.com/user/pianovirus[/url]

Offline lazlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:34:23 PM
1. Pedaling is difficult, and you shouldn't just blanket the piece with the pedal, otherwise you'll blur it unrecognizably. Pedal/release according to the bass line (for the a section) It's from the classical period, so be sparing with the pedal (i.e. try half pedals)

2. maybe initially when you first start don't work with it, but try to work on the fingerings in conjunction with the pedal coordination asap, because it is a difficult coordination at first. Also just learn the right hand separately at speed, because the bass line isn't difficult at all. The HT coordination becomes much easier.

Offline yoghurtraspz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 04:41:15 PM
what if i 've already started practising in a wrong way "FAST"- 

Offline lazlo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 04:44:54 PM
ummm... go back to practicing slow...

Offline jnyl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:13:04 AM
If you still find it difficult to play, practice staccato in a slow manner throughout all the running notes - allows you to know the note well.

I don't think pedalling is required for the whole entire piece.

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 01:20:50 AM
I agree with most of what's been already said. The fingering in this piece is fairly easy and the work should be played with just a bit of pedal. Clarity is more important than speed, although I have heard this piece played quite fast in live concerts. Good luck!
Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.

Offline dmc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:11:57 AM
I'm working on this at the moment.  Great piece isn't it ?

I wouldn't say the fingering is difficult but I think the biggest challenge is getting it even & smooth.  The best way to achieve that is to practice it slow emphasizing the smoothness and note definition.  In the process of doing so, the fingering should fall into place.

As for pedaling, I follow the pattern Lazlo described.  Since the bass line is fairly simple, use that as a guide and try to use as little as possible.  When you're playing it slowly, try not to pedal it at all.  You'd be surprise how much you won't really need it.  Good luck !

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 09:55:39 PM
Why do you think the fingering is difficult? Which passage do you mean? For how long have you been studying this piece? IMO this is really a straightforward piece with a pretty straightforward fingering. Just spend some time with it and you'll inevitably get there.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline ahkow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:17:09 AM
If you still find it difficult to play, practice staccato in a slow manner throughout all the running notes - allows you to know the note well.

Staccato is indeed quite a good option. I do it frequently too. In addition to these, the hidden benefits are firming and strengthening of the fingers, increasing finger speed, and it also helps in memory.

Offline pianodude90

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 08:28:30 PM
You have to practice Slowly! Do not speed up before you master it in slow tempo, because in this piece, there are nearly no pedal.

Offline guendola

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 03:55:39 AM
First of all, fingering is definitely easy. Have your thumb on f and c and that's basically it until the piece turns to minor but even there keep the basic idea and only change where necessary.

Pedalling: I use pedal from 2-3 on most of the scale sections. The quarter notes in the bass should come solo, almost stakkato (i.e. no pedal here!).

And for the tempo: Start with 40 for a triple and play the first 8 measures. Then repeat but with a different rhythm: dotted eigth, one sixteenth and get the tempo up as long as you can play that relaxed. Reverse the rhythm: one sixteenth, dotted eigths, speed up again. Repeat both until you get up to like 140 (which is way faster than I would like to play this piece). When done, you will be fine for most of the scalework in this piece. If you like more versality, try eight plus two sixteens instead and reverse that pattern as well. And just do this on the first 8 measures, you don't want to ruin the piece musically.

For each section with special fingering, practise at 40 for a triple again. Don't speed up, just do it, don't make any mistakes and forget about music for a while. Practise in really short sections, one or two measures only.

When you come to the middle section, have fun - it is totally different :D

PS: For the scales it might be helpful to lower the wrist of the right hand a bit, better contact with the keys - if your fingers are long enough.

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 06:24:12 PM

When you come to the middle section, have fun - it is totally different :D

And harder...

Offline guendola

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 11:30:58 PM
But it is great fun to practise the parts way down the keyboard over and over, hanging halfway off the seat in order to have your arms in the right position :D

Offline jinfiesto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 06:40:58 AM
Ummm. This piece is pretty straightforward. Try to use the pedal almost exclusively for coloristic issues.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert