Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: staccatos vs. light accents? Whats the difference?  (Read 2429 times)

Shagdac

staccatos vs. light accents? Whats the difference?
on: April 09, 2004, 12:42:48 AM
Some works with Beethoven and Schubert (there may be others, I don't know) in early 1800's have the dots like staccato, however are referred to as 'light accents" instead. How can one practice their technique on this to assure the difference noticable......or is it? Appreciate any help? Thanks.

Shag :)

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Re: staccatos vs. light accents? Whats the differe
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 06:55:59 AM
it's really quite a subtle , in fact i think it would b kinda hard to explain. you should have your teacher show it 2 u. but staccato didn't mean the same thing in the classical era as it does now. when playing beethoven and schubert staccatos, don't just smack the key like you would for a modern piece, instead, play it like a quarter note (or whatever kind of note it is), only let off earlier than you normally would. as i said, it's kinda hard to explain, anyways, good luck.....maybe bernhard will post and make everything all clear  ;D
rach on!

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 02:06:17 PM
I agree with dj.

This has to be demonstrated and heard. It is not really a matter of "touch" but of the "effect". It does not matter which technique (movement, touch, etc.) you use, but rather that you obtain the effect. So first you must get used to the effect (that is, the sound), then you keep changing your way of playing until you get it.

You have two options:

i. As dj said, ask for someone knowledgeable to demonstrate it for you (=teacher)

ii. Listen to a CD/performance of the piece you are interested in by a pianist who believes in authenticity (e.g. Brendel, Tureck) and avoid the pianists that are into a"personal" interpretation (e.g. Pletnev, Pogorelich).

Please do no misunderstand me: Avoid "personal pianists" only for the didactical purpose of getting the authentic sound effect. The "personal" pianists are often the most interesting and not to be avoided in any other circumstaces.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Shagdac

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 01:47:27 PM

Thanks Berhard and DJ...I was able to hear this demonstrated, and with your explanations...by george, I think I've got it!

Shag
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert