Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What piano do you have?  (Read 78973 times)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: What piano do you have?
Reply #200 on: May 06, 2010, 03:19:28 PM
Just recently (in the last week) bought a piano to be proud of... at least it makes me proud compared to the piece of sh!t I had before it.

Used to have a 26-year old Yamaha LU-101... but NOW I own a Yamaha C2 Grand Piano... It's *** beautiful.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #201 on: May 06, 2010, 04:33:33 PM
Bluthner grand, B-model I think. From early 1900. Still going strong!

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #202 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:30 PM
Let's all try to learn English.

It's the what which usage. This thread should read "which piano do you have?" The answers wanted will be a name from several brands or one of several types. The word "what" shouldn't be used in this context because there is a limited list of answers that can be given to the question.

Please don't be offended. I once was severely criticized for a paper I wrote for my harmony class in college where I got all the points correct but my English was terrible.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline jmurray01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #203 on: May 09, 2010, 04:37:27 PM
I have a Digital Piano...  Can I enter ?  Haha.  Well I'm gonna anyways!  1997 Roland EP.75 Digital Piano. :)

Offline jmurray01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #204 on: May 09, 2010, 04:41:37 PM
Just recently (in the last week) bought a piano to be proud of... at least it makes me proud compared to the piece of sh!t I had before it.

Used to have a 26-year old Yamaha LU-101... but NOW I own a Yamaha C2 Grand Piano... It's *** beautiful.

Oh my... Thats beautiful!  I can only dream of that... It must have cost £5000... ($7000)

Or more... (?)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #205 on: May 09, 2010, 11:54:54 PM
Oh my... Thats beautiful!  I can only dream of that... It must have cost £5000... ($7000)

In british pounds, it would be about 12,000 pounds (I don't have the symbol for pound on my keyboard).

Offline steinwayb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #206 on: May 15, 2010, 01:35:34 PM
Uh, maybe my Screen name is  hint. Yes I have a restored 1916 steinway B. Perfect

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #207 on: May 15, 2010, 03:15:27 PM
Uh, maybe my Screen name is  hint. Yes I have a restored 1916 steinway B. Perfect

You lucky prick!!! I so love Steinway. Hoping to get one later in life.

Offline love_that_tune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #208 on: May 24, 2010, 05:09:37 PM
Oh congratulations  many happy hours of joy wished upon you and your new piano.

Offline love_that_tune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #209 on: May 24, 2010, 05:13:30 PM
I wonder if anyone's done a count of how many of which brands and such?  It's sure looking like Yamaha is the highest number.  I have a 7' Pearl River which I absolutely love.  A year ago I had to put it back in the shop for sale because I lost everything in the recession and then got seriously ill.  Ah but there's a happy ending.  No one bought it so I'm getting it delivered to my new address and I'm fit as a "fiddle"  maybe fit as my piano.  Happy Day.

Offline knabe31

• PS Gold Member
Reply #210 on: May 24, 2010, 05:59:41 PM
August Forster 1911 6' Grand. Love it. I am just about to have it totally restored. I am nervous about doing it, but, it is such a beautiful quality instrument, I want to bring it back to its full potential!!

Offline shadowzerg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #211 on: May 24, 2010, 06:45:34 PM
I'm using a digital piano: Yamaha P-85. Great tonal quality and all the midi functions with the feel of a real grand. Truly beautiful!

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #212 on: May 24, 2010, 08:22:39 PM
My Broadwood Square dated 1800 is my favourite.  

Offline chick98

• PS Silver Member
Reply #213 on: May 30, 2010, 02:40:24 PM
I own a Chickering Model 98, "Yacht Tail", 1885; Brazilian Rosewood, 7' 10".

I grew up with a Steinway Model "C"; it was a fine instrument, but could never compare to the magnificent dark, complex sound of my Chickering and the amazingly responsive Edwin Brown action.

The superlative carved Rosewood Art Case is just the icing on the cake ...

Offline silverwoodpianos

Reply #214 on: June 04, 2010, 08:16:38 PM

Nice Chickering there.....looks similar to one I just restored here a couple of years back but that was a 6’6” model with the 123 scale from 1905.

Have a late model 6’1” Blüthner that I play regularly; also a 6’3” Heintzman & Co.  If I am looking for more punch then I switch over to the  keyboard of the 6’10” Heintzman & Co.
Dan Silverwood
 www.silverwoodpianos.com
https://silverwoodpianos.blogspot.com/

If you think it's is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Offline fnkyazn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #215 on: June 06, 2010, 04:40:20 AM
Somehow, I don't find it surprising that this thread has received so many replies.  Who doesn't want to talk about their beloved instrument?

I own a Bechstein A1. 

(And yes, there is more to this...)

It's a beautiful instrument, and it's currently two-years-old.  I've never played a more amazing upright in my life, and outside of the Bechstein Concert 8, or perhaps a Bosendorfer, I'm pretty much certain that I will never play a better upright in my life. 

Offline usahockey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #216 on: June 06, 2010, 06:43:07 PM
That Chickering does indeed look magnificent, and I can only imagine the sound of such an instrument matching or exceeding its regal appearance...

Offline chick98

• PS Silver Member
Reply #217 on: June 13, 2010, 05:56:08 PM
The sound and 'touch' is just as grand as its appearance! The Edwin Brown action is a delight to play, lighter than a Steinway and incredibly responsive; it was the Brown action that Glenn Gould loved to feel under his fingers; he had a Chickering Model 119 at his home on Lake Simcoe that can now be seen at the Gould Museum.

And, of course, there is the legendary Chickering sound! It is difficult to articulate in words; dark, full bodied & complex, never strident or harsh - I suppose if you are a beer or wine drinker you may understand the subtlety I'm trying to convey. Vintage Chickerings produce a unique sound that has not been heard for a century. It is not an accident that Franz Liszt owned two Chickerings; mine was produced within a decade of Liszt's last Chickering, currently on display at the Franz Liszt Museum (Budapest).

Chickering pianos are an acquired taste and not for everyone. I first discovered these wonderful old instruments when I was in my twenties - I am now in my sixties - and this is my third (and I hope final) Chickering grand.

Offline hoj76

• PS Silver Member
Reply #218 on: June 25, 2010, 07:41:10 AM
I have a Albert Weber YP-121 ES (Y.C in USA)

Much piano vs. price.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #219 on: June 28, 2010, 06:43:21 AM
Clavinova and Steinway grand.
1+1=11

Offline asherwade

• PS Silver Member
Reply #220 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:15 AM
Yamaha U3 - amazing!

Offline steponme

• PS Silver Member
Reply #221 on: July 07, 2010, 02:09:59 AM
An old Ludwig and a Yamaha Privia :D
- Intermediate student here!
Pieces that I'm currently studying (in order of priority):
1. Debussy - Arabesque no. 1
2. Mozart - 12 Variations
3. Debussy - Clair de Lune
4. Beethoven - Moonlight

Offline mudbucket

• PS Silver Member
Reply #222 on: August 04, 2010, 02:36:31 AM
I am so jealous of so many of you.

I have a Petrof - it says Grand Prix Brussels 1958 on it.
Great piano, but too short.

Planning on selling it and getting a new piano. Don't know which one yet. :]

Offline redstar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #223 on: August 14, 2010, 01:24:26 AM
I don't have a piano  :'( but I want one

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #224 on: August 14, 2010, 05:12:38 PM
I am so jealous of so many of you.

I have a Petrof - it says Grand Prix Brussels 1958 on it.
Great piano, but too short.

Planning on selling it and getting a new piano. Don't know which one yet. :]

Careful! Be sure you know the REAL value of what you have. Don't be cheated by someone who really knows the value, pays you peanuts and makes a bundle..
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #225 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:47 PM
I don't have a piano  :'( but I want one

Mine is for sale if you want to make me an offer.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #226 on: August 14, 2010, 08:05:49 PM
I've got an Ibach upright, about 128cm, which I bought new in 1986 or so - it's one of the best half-dozen uprights I've ever played, I got lucky there.

In 2006 I bought an 1889 Bechstein Model V grand (6ft 8"), restored about a decade previously by Rick Ohlendorff (UK piano owners please note - he does a very good job!).

The two pianos live in separate rooms and my wife and I can annoy the neighbours (who couldn't be nicer and never seem to mind at all) in stereo.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #227 on: August 14, 2010, 11:51:14 PM
I own an old Chickering 3/4 grand piano   8)
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #228 on: August 15, 2010, 03:48:05 PM
Does that mean you can only play Waltzes on it????

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline bm607

• PS Silver Member
Reply #229 on: August 29, 2010, 05:43:56 PM
My music room, with acoustic insulation all around (i can play all night long if i want), and my Yam S4 (2009) into it :

All what i wanted (hem... i also wanted talent, not yet found).

BM

Offline thinkgreenlovepiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #230 on: September 03, 2010, 03:33:21 AM
I have a Yamaha U3.... it's decent, according to my tuner.
 I'd love a grand piano, but I'll work with what I have :)
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
~Leopold Stokowski

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #231 on: September 06, 2010, 02:06:17 AM
Does that mean you can only play Waltzes on it????

Thal

Listen Thal, was that necessary for you to say that?  This piano that I own used to belong to my step-grandmother from a garage sale and it was covered with dirt over all the strings and so it took her a year to clean that up along with making the piano presentable.  It's bigger than a baby grand and I'm proud to play ANYTHING I want to because of the beautiful sound it produces.
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline whistlestop

• PS Silver Member
Reply #232 on: September 08, 2010, 11:51:35 AM
This year I bought a Sauter Masterclass 130 after using a digital for 15 years.

Still getting used to the (lovely) sound it makes but I worry about upsetting the neighbours so nearly always have the practice muffler on post-9p.m.

Would have liked a small-ish grand but glad now that I didn't go for one, because it would have probably been louder.

Offline steinwaymichigan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #233 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:38 AM
Well, I own a rebuilt gold piano and I purchase it in a very affordable price. It is really amazing. I found this through this, https://4tepiano.com/Articles/About-Us/Gold-piano/more-about-gold-piano.html.

Offline wellrod

• PS Silver Member
Reply #234 on: September 09, 2010, 02:10:21 PM
Hi everybody!!!

I'm from Brazil and i bought a Clavinova CLP-340 from Yamaha... I know that i can't compare it with a real piano, but i'm very happy with the sound of my CLP!!!

;)

Wellington Rodrigues
Wellington Rodrigues
Musician
https://www.myspace.com/wellmusicrio

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #235 on: September 09, 2010, 02:49:31 PM
My parents recently gave me the family piano that I grew up learning on. It is a Kohler upright. I like it.

I've never seen the Kohler brand anywhere else and know nothing about it. Anyone heard of it?

Offline pollydendy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #236 on: September 23, 2010, 03:52:28 AM
I have a 1912 Starr Minum Grand, made in Richmond Indiana.  I bought it from a newspaper ad.  It needed  a LOT of work, and now is just great to play,and has a big sound for a smaller instrument. I think I could fit another into my music room, nesting them together, or maybe a harpsichord. :D

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #237 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:49 AM
Hi everybody!!!

I'm from Brazil and i bought a Clavinova CLP-340 from Yamaha... I know that i can't compare it with a real piano, but i'm very happy with the sound of my CLP!!!

;)

Wellington Rodrigues

I'm very happy with another keyboard from Yamaha. And now appreciate it even more here on the road where there is only a Casio AP-500 in the studio I rent for practice.

I notice that Casio turns on the reverb at start-up which covers a multitude of sins. I play with it switched off and through VERY good earphones and it still sounds terrible. The sound is suited to scenes in old west bars..

Offline helen82

• PS Silver Member
Reply #238 on: October 26, 2010, 10:10:11 AM
I have a Seiler Primus. I like it so much.
It is always by me  and helps me compose perfect songs.

Offline ingunite

• PS Silver Member
Reply #239 on: October 31, 2010, 02:06:20 AM
I have a Baldwin upright, Model 6000, 52''. Needless to say, I'm very fond of it.
Regarding an earlier query about Russian pianos, here's a little story:
There was a large scale production of pianos in Latvia, then one of the Soviet Union republics, and Estonia, its neighbor. The factory in Riga, capital of Latvia, for several decades was churning out a remarkable number of rather pedestrian yet not altogether bad upright pianos, named "Riga" (surprise, surprise). A factory in Estonia likewise was manufacturing grand pianos named "Estonia". Both factories were well respected within their geographical limitations behind the Iron Curtain. After the demise of USSR, the factory in Latvia, after a brief struggle to gain a market share in the West, went bankrupt. At the same time, the factory in Estonia gained instant success in the world piano markets due to the quality of its grands and moderate prices.
You did know that Estonia is a country, right?

Offline solstyce

• PS Silver Member
Reply #240 on: November 05, 2010, 12:36:02 AM
I have a 1908 Blasius and sons. I bought it for 20$. Doesn't look so great, but its sounds amazing. I want to get it restored but it will cost 7,500$. So yeah, thats not happening anytime soon. Its almost perfectly in tune, with the exception of a few notes.

Its my baby. :D

Offline mfreeman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #241 on: November 06, 2010, 10:49:42 AM
Okay, I think Piano must be Classic and Antique, so I dont like electric pianos at all.
I think our collection will bet you all  ;D  :P , you wanna see just check here : https://www.palacepianos.com/portal/index.php

I saw good pianos you guys have, Its interesting that I see people still love original and classic art. ;)

Please tell me what you think about our pianos.
Expert in Unique Art Case Pianos & Harps

Offline gaest

• PS Silver Member
Reply #242 on: November 06, 2010, 02:14:45 PM
I have a rebuilt 1922 NY Steinway Long A.  It looks faded and neglected on the outside (some idiot left it in the sun and didn't take such great care of it overall), which is why I had to dig past superficially sparkling pianos to find it, hidden away in a corner.  But the tone is absolutely gorgeous, and that's really all I want in a piano. 

The only other piano I've enjoyed playing more was a brand new Bosendorfer with such a heavenly touch and breathtaking sound that I would have sold my soul for the money to buy it.  Alas... Bosendorfers are just a tiny bit pricey.  Just a bit...

I'm still thrilled with the piano I have.

Offline drazh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #243 on: November 30, 2010, 07:32:05 PM
hi
I have bought  a yamaha  u300s  silent.  Which i think is good and i dont know what is the diference between u3 . U30  .or u300.
Thank you

Offline pianorebuilder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #244 on: December 01, 2010, 01:29:25 AM
I owned this 1876 Steinway Style 3 Concert Grand in unrestored (deplorable) condition for 15 years.  Decided to do a major restoration including new Soundboard, new Action, and finish a few years back.  According to Steinway, this was the very first piano to incorporate the Cupola Plate design, even though it is only a 3/4 plate piano!  I had it around for a couple of years, was displayed in the Rebuilders Gallery at one National PTG convention, and invited a great many pianists to play it and see Steinways' progression to the modern piano (Steinway D) design.   It almost sounded like a D, but was simply not there yet.... only 17 note bass section, and had seven (yes seven) less dampers in the treble!  With the New soundboard, it rings out in that section for a loooong time.
    Steinway deserves a lot of credit for as many advancements they made in piano building in such a short time frame before the turn of the century.  I would also credit Jonas Chickering with developing some very interseting and pleasing designs as well.  I eventually traded the piano for a restored 1957 Chevy Bel Air!  The current owner absolutely loves the piano and records his music all the time on it.
Franco Skilan RPT
www.precisionpianoservices.com
Fine Piano Restorations

Offline dchristina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #245 on: December 01, 2010, 02:53:17 PM
Hazim - Thank you very much.

I actually took lessons from the time I was 13 (I was a very late starter.) until I was almost 18. I was probably at the late intermediate/early advance level when I stopped playing. (There is a very long story why I stopped and an even longer story why I've waited so long to take up playing again.)

So here I am getting ready for my first lesson after many years. I was told to prepare something so right now I am working on a couple of Scarlatti sonatas and the Chopin F# Nocturne, Op.15, #2. And of course, scales, scales and more scales.

Hi Sharon I am doing exactly the same starting all over again.

Tina.

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #246 on: January 10, 2011, 01:47:33 AM
Yamaha S6 - I love it!

Offline dchristina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #247 on: January 10, 2011, 09:59:24 PM

I am now the proud owner of a 1927 John Brinsmead & sons boudoir grand and I love it.

Offline susanball48

• PS Gold Member
Reply #248 on: February 07, 2011, 07:24:23 AM
New (purchased two months ago) Steinway A (6'2").

And for late night use, I have a Roland HP307 digital piano tucked away in my bedroom.

Offline toner22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #249 on: February 19, 2011, 10:30:49 AM
Kohler & Campbell

Year: Couldn't tell ya.

She's not pretty, she's at least 2 keys outa tune, and some of the keys stick depending the weather. Sound isn't to good either. But she's fun to play on.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert