Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin's 2nd sonata...  (Read 2945 times)

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin's 2nd sonata...
on: November 14, 2007, 05:04:11 AM
Hey!  It's been a while since I've posted here  ;)

I've recently begun playing Scriabin's second sonata (on the side); For the first movement, I generally have the notes down minus several really awkward sections.  I'm just wondering; I have a recording done by Ruth Laredo of the first movement, and it sounds incredible.  I don't know how much pedal she uses, and how she clears through some of the right hand runs as well as left hand leaps while sustaining such a good legato... If anyone's played this or knows anything about it, how much pedal is too much for this, and is it necessary in some sections to cover up leaps with pedal?

Thanks!
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin's 2nd sonata...
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 08:37:36 AM
Look at the harmonic structure.  Generally, holding pedal through RH passages with a common bass note gives more body to the tone.  A lot of the pedaling can be deduced from the harmony.   In Scriabin harmony doesn't always occur in metrical blocks (starts on beat 1 ends on beat 4), but can be stretched out in asymmetrical ways to enhance the symphonic colours of the piano.  Eg: Bass notes may not always be on a main beat or be first to be played in a chordal passage.  Also watch out for implied bass which is not explicitly held for full note values in the score. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline counterpoint

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 10:33:36 AM
In the music of Scriabin, there is often the problem, that bass notes should be held with the pedal while there are temporary chords or notes, that require to be damped. So the solution often is to just lift the pedal a little bit, the middle and higher notes will be wiped out - but the bass notes will stay alive. It's a bit tricky but it is not impossible  ;)
If it doesn't work - try something different!

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:24:32 PM
Alright, thanks!  I understand what you're saying, and I have half-lifted the pedal for other stuff, so I'll give that a shot and take into account some of the bass passages while doing this.
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:51:27 PM
hey, i'm playing this piece for over a year and i never get bored of it :)
watch out the voicing in the 3rd page. it's very difficult to get it good. you have to use the pedal there , you just have too. it helps.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert