Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin  (Read 2006 times)

Offline johnjwong

• PS Silver Member
Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin
on: April 13, 2004, 05:20:56 AM
Hi guys, I need help for the song fantasia impromptu by chaplin.  I can play the song but if i play the song fast as the song is supposed to be fast, my hand gets tire and i just can't play anymore.... there is so much stress no my right hand arm and my arm feels like its burning.... My hand gets tired just before the part when there is the decending chromatic scale.. any tips?

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Help on fantasia impromptu by chaplin
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 01:14:53 AM
I need help for the song fantasia impromptu by chaplin.  

I don't know about the rest of this, but I can help you with this- Fantasie-Impromptu by Chopin.  
Just a tip  ;)
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 01:24:39 AM
Either your technique is very poor or you just don't have the conditioning to play it or both.

Your forearm is burning because of the buildup of lactic acid - it lets you know when you're stressing out your muscles.  This means you are probably using too much strength.  Why is your forearm burning and not your fingers?  Because your finger muscles are located in your forearm.  You only have two muscles in the hand, one for your thumb and the other for your 5 finger that allows it to move outward.

So your problem?  Poor technique or not enough conditioning but most likely both.

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 04:22:45 PM
anybody who can make that mistake (chaplin for chopin), has obviously not been playing the piano for long enough to be able to play Fantaisie-Impromptu. Wait a few years.... ::)

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 05:43:37 PM
Hi guys, I need help for the song fantasia impromptu by chaplin.  I can play the song but if i play the song fast as the song is supposed to be fast, my hand gets tire and i just can't play anymore.... there is so much stress no my right hand arm and my arm feels like its burning.... My hand gets tired just before the part when there is the decending chromatic scale.. any tips?

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I do not think you are up to this Chopin piece yet. It is probably better if you work on music that is within your technical range. With the proper technique, there is no reason why you should be the least bit fatigued from playing this piece up to tempo. Also, from your other post, you seem to have a very rudimentary knowledge of theory.

There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has to begin somewhere.

You are playing a piece that is too difficult for you, with a lot of tension. I would advise you to get a teacher who can show you how to play in a relaxed manner.  

Best of luck.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Xelles

Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 10:54:19 PM
That's very true, Hmoll. Anyone with a basic foundation of rudiments (or any other kind of theory) would clearly understand the difference between a piece and a song.

Offline johnjwong

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 03:59:26 AM
true i have only being playing paino for almost 2.5 years.  And I skipped and reached grade 10 piano in 2.5 years, so maybe my fundamental skills is not good enough.  I can play the song, and play it fast, but it is tire sometimes.  I can play that part very fast if i started at that part but when i start in the begining, when i reached that fast part, my hand is already tired.  It's more of a stima problem than a technique problem.

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2004, 05:36:37 AM
 I can play that part very fast if i started at that part but when i start in the begining, when i reached that fast part, my hand is already tired.  It's more of a stima problem than a technique problem.

the piece is short enough that, if your technique is right, stamina would not b a problem
rach on!

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2004, 05:49:13 AM
  It's more of a stima problem than a technique problem.

It's a stamina problem because it's a problem with your technique.
Try to have some lessons with a good teacher. Sort out your technical problems, and come back to this piece again later.

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but there are 100,000 people who play Fantasy Impromtu, Moonlight Sonata, Hungarian Rhap.#2, etc.  badly because they aren't up to those pieces.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline nad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 02:56:21 PM

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but there are 100,000 people who play Fantasy Impromtu, Moonlight Sonata, Hungarian Rhap.#2, etc.  badly because they aren't up to those pieces.

Very true. I also notice that there are dozens of people trying to play pieces that are way above their league. They simply cannot play advanced pieces when they haven't been through all the necessary basics. And when they do, the performance of the piece is in 9 out of 10 cases very poor and very badly. Not to mention that you can seriously blemish your fingers/hands/arms with such bad technique.
Just reading the notes on the score and play them isn't the only thing.
The fact that you can play fast doesn't mean that you use the correct technique for playing it fast.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 04:27:29 PM
Yes, it is often true of young* students to attempt pieces far beyond their skill.  I was one of these students with the mindset: "I don't have to know anything rudimentary to play this piece.  Playing this piece is all I want to do."  Of course, I grew out of this phase after attempting these pieces and realizing that I must have fundamental skills to play them.  It took a while of very little success to realize this and realize that at the rate I was going, I'd never be able to play it anything soon.

So what?  JohnJWong, there's nothing you aren't not doing wrong.  [huh?]  You are playing it fine the way you are.  Give it a year or two before you realize that even though you were able to force yourself through this "wall" you'll still be lacking in the required skills and then, just as I said above_

*young - not referring to age but to maturity; but often usually teenagers that exhibit this trait.

Offline nad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 05:21:04 PM
Anyone with a basic foundation of rudiments (or any other kind of theory) would clearly understand the difference between a piece and a song.

I can play the song

If you insist this is a song, I would appreciate it if you'd provide the lyrics   :D

Offline JustinTimberlake

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 05:39:22 PM
Poor Johnjwong. That must have hurt your feelings. Hey guys, you don't have to be so mean. Instead you should sympathize this imbecile who thinks a song is a piece, and still insists on it. Hahaha! As the Chinese saying goes: If you don't have a big head, don't think of wearing a big hat.

John, stop being so unrealistic. You just need a good teacher to teach you the correct technique.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 06:04:04 PM
Now you guys are being mean. :(  I call them pieces songs sometimes, too.  And even I don't have a problem with it.  Good thing my ass is only for defacating and not for storage. ::)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert