Piano Forum logo
November 20, 2017, 02:20:42 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Paul Lewis and Two Years with Schubert

Schubert’s music defined the Romantic age and Paul Lewis’s sought-after performances are coming to define the way our age hears Schubert. In barely a decade, Lewis has emerged as one of the great musical thinkers of our time, and his relationship with Schubert is at the very heart of his artistry. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creative ways to introduce Bach  (Read 6639 times)
pianistimo
PS Gold Member

« on: December 04, 2007, 06:58:28 PM »

OK this question is more in the range of students 12 and older.  Typically, students are introduced to 2 and 3 part inventions - but what if a student is a slight bit on the dyslexic side (very slight) and is really frustrated by this type of music.  What is a good way to still cover Bach and not become frustrated by him.

I printed out some general info about Bach (esp about the WTC) and was thinking about some kind of easier introduction than preludes/fugues or even the inventions.  Are there any suites that fit this bill?  I know the Anna-Magdalena notebook would be easy but perhaps too easy and too boring.  Are there some suites that are 'pared down' for easier reading - or could one do this?  He seems more inclined to songs and melodies.  Also, Bach was really into 'theme and variations' when younger - and perhaps that is an idea to start.  Any suggestions of theme and variations to work on?

addendum:  I just printed out 'Small Prelude' from PF and it looks just about right.  Still interested in any more ideas. 
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Kassaa
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »

The French Suites seem to be easier than the preludes and fugues, and there are of course the clavier-ubung works, like the small prelude you printed out.

Everything will pass, and the world will perish but the Waldstein Sonata will remain.
pianistimo
PS Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:54:10 PM »

Yes. The French Suites might be a really great start.  Even if they are randomly picked through and we only play this or that dance from them.  Thank you!
Mayla
PS Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:11:16 PM »

"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
pianistimo
PS Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »

Goldberg variations?  Woah.  Now that's a fur bit more difficult with the rhythms and trills, etc.  Are you sure?  Some of the gigues and all from the English suite are really easy and not bad - so I'm imagining the French suites would be the same way.  Not sure about the Aria of the Goldberg - but, you know what - sometimes fear prevents us from doing something because we 'think' it's difficult when it's really not if broken down into manageable parts (ie measures).  If I have success with the French suites - I might consider doing something like that.  First eliminating trills and all - and just going for the 'effect' of the Aria.  In fact, possibly just rewriting it in the simplest manner.

Mayla - all because of this good suggestion I found on 'free-scores.com' a suitable version for about level 3 of the aria.  Good idea!  I'm printing it out right now.  http://www.free-scores.com/download-sheet-music.php?pdf=6068
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: