Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Would this work?  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Chopins_Fantaisie

• PS Silver Member
Would this work?
on: April 15, 2004, 06:54:31 PM
One of my students refuses to play louder than necessary. During her lesson I can barely hear what's being played, and when she's asked to play louder, she balks. We've talked about why she plays so quietly - she's afraid to make mistakes and if people hear them, she thinks they're going to laugh. I asked her if I laugh when she makes mistakes. "No," was her reply. So why is she afraid to play louder for me at lesson? "I don't know."  ::)

Now, there's a piece of music she would like to learn. This piece does not call for a timid approach to playing it. If she wants to play it, she needs to have better sound. At first I told her that she needs to get a little more advanced to learn it, but she could now play it if I gave it to her. However, I'm thinking... perhaps I should make it more of a reward in terms of - if she begins to play louder and i see improvement in doing so, she will get to play the piece. She REALLY wants to learn this piece... so maybe some sort of goal to get it is good? Or do you think it will backfire in my face and it's not a good idea to do something like that to a student? The way I see her playing now... it's a waste of time and it's not piano study at all....

I'll be interested in seeing your replies. Thanks.
Music is my refuge. I could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Would this work?
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 05:16:33 PM
Three things off the top of my head:

1) Tell her that wrong notes do not constitute the only mistake that one can make. Playing too soft is also a mistake. If she plays every note too soft she is playing every note wrong.

2) Exercise: Take a section of a piece she is working on. Have her apply an arm drop with the shoulder on each note - obviously at a slower tempo. Emphasise how fun this is to make these extremely loud sounds. Tell her not to care so much if she lands on the wrong note. Make sure once she lands, her fingers are in a good position, but her shoulder, arm, wrist, etc. is relaxed.

3) More big picture: Consider discussing with her and/or her parents the importance of confidence and self esteem. This might be an issue here.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline squinchy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 11:46:33 PM
I'm not a teacher, but I've had this problem. If I violate some unspoken code amongst piano teachers with my suggestion, don't hurt me!

I think your idea will work-If self esteem is what she needs, this would probably be an opportunity to give her that feeling of accomplishment.

Also, has the student ever played Knecht Ruprecht by Schumann? When I finally learned to play softly, I somehow forgot how to play loudly. My teacher prescribed me that piece, and she made me play the ƒ parts ƒƒ. I soon remembered how to play loudly.
Support bacteria. They're the only type of culture some people have.

Offline andigone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 10:36:09 AM
hi.
i had a student reacting the same way when i told her to play louder.she wasn't relax when she was playing and i tried to help her.a friendly atmosphere during the lesson with some jokes might help.once i told her to change roles and she could be my teacher and tell me if she could hear me.i  played so ppp that she could not hear almost nothing and then she laughed a little.
i don't know but this was helpful with that student.
'O music  In your depths we deposit our hearts and souls. Thou has taught us to see with our ears And hear with our hearts.' kahlil Gibran

Offline clarinetwife

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 04:13:37 PM
I think it is a great opening when a student actually wants to play a piece that is outside of what they normally go for.  Go with it, try to help her relax and have fun with it.  Playing a piece she really wants to play with appropriate energy and volume could be rewarding in itself.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert