Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven's Waldstein  (Read 5680 times)

Offline gregh87

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven's Waldstein
on: December 08, 2007, 01:02:07 AM
I just started this piece, and I remember my teacher saying something about a difficult glissando somewhere in this piece.  So do you play the fast octaves in the Presto part of the third movement like you'd play a glissando?  They sound pretty ridiculous in the Ashkenazy recording I've listened to.  Are they like octave-glissando's for one hand?

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven's Waldstein
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:05:53 AM
I've heard them played as glisses and not as glisses (different attacks for each one). The latter way is certainly more difficult, but I think it has a better sound than an octave gliss.

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:55:32 AM
Yes, octave glissandos. Both hands.
Maybe there's still Claudio Arrau on youtube playing this sonata. If you want to see an 80-year old who can do it... :)

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:59:59 AM
These aren't true octave glissandos. That is just the way many people choose to execute them because of the tempo. They can be executed without resorting to glissados. it even has a better sound, in my opinion.

Here are true octave glisses, for those that are interested:

For the Waldstein you have a choice. For this, you don't.

Offline viking

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:11:08 AM
Haha what is that?

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 05:21:00 AM
That's taken from Lowell Liebermann's 1st Piano Concerto.

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:33:49 PM
Then how do you interpret this piece of evidence? This is Beethoven's manuscript, and as you can see he asks for pedal off, legato slur, pp, and he asks for fingers 5 and 1 on each octave! Why would he specify a fingering in his manuscript for octaves in a C-major scale? Note that other passages here don't have fingerings. I beleive this is the first instance where a glissando is notated in a score. Liebermann's concerto is much later, and the term "gliss" in a score has become standard (as has glissandos themselves).
So, Beethoven is actually specific, and he does not leave you a choice.
This is actually copyrighted by Beethoven Haus Bonn,
www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de
but I hope it's ok..

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 03:59:20 PM
I've an Ashkenazy rec of this piece that I really like, and he isn't doing the gliss. even in my score, which is an urtext, gliss is not marked ( as shown in the ms). when I heard it in a concert, the glissando seemed out of place (probably coz i was not used to it). i agree with retrouvailles, it sounds better without the glissandos.
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:17:28 PM
If your score is an urtext, what fingering does it show? On the same page where I found the ms there's also the first edition. It follows the ms precisely. Point is, Beethoven is very clear. It's also apparent that the passage must be played legato and pianissimo.
I've played it and studied it myself and I'm of course very well aware of the fact that some pianists don't do a glissando. Throughout the history of this sonata it's always been a trouble spot, and the fact that so many has had a problem here has caused this tradition of skipping the glissando altogether. It may sound as good or better in your opinion, but it's still 'wrong' according to the manuscript and first edition. Play it as you wish, just be aware of what B's original intention was.

Also, the heavier the action is, the more difficult it is to do a gliss. Hence, easier on Beethoven's piano, more difficult today.

Aschkenazy's hands are small, I think. Arrau's are bigger, as are Gilels' (who also glisses).

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 03:48:56 PM
the fingering is 5-1 throughout without pedal, but that doesn't guarantee that it is a glissando, imo
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 06:15:01 PM
I'm in the 'do them as non-glissandos camp'. This amounts to rapid hands together scales, which gives more accuracy and neatness. Much depends on the type of sound that you want in your interpretation. For me, I prefer the accuracy.
Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 03:32:31 PM
yes, they´re great

look for the arrau´s performance!!!!
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert