Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin:Etude no 12 in d#minor  (Read 2049 times)

Offline libra

• PS Silver Member
Scriabin:Etude no 12 in d#minor
on: April 17, 2004, 05:49:11 PM
I' ve been studying this etude for 4 months.The problem is that my left hand gets tired after the second page and I can't play it too fast!Anybody to help?

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scriabin:Etude no 12 in d#minor
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 06:44:43 PM
I can't tell just like that, but I'm assuming that your hand is getting tense.

Try playing with a looser wrist, and when you can, let go of tension by playing the note while raising your wrist while pressing the key. You can probably do this in a place like the cadence between bars 9 and 10 (i think it's nine and ten, my edition has no numbers), where the theme comes back again. You can probably also take a breath there and a split second of time. Try to sing the phrases of the melody, and play them in a way that you could sing them.

Whenever you have two octaves following each other I'd play the first one up and the second one down. Pay close attention to the beats. Even try counting out loud a few times.

Hope this helps....

P.S.: I haven't played the piece, but I've toyed with it... I can see what you're talking about from looking at the score, it is after all an etude for working the left hand.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 09:50:10 PM
If Horowitz could do this piece as an old man, you shouldn't have a problem.  Well, actually I shouldn't say that, Horowitz was a genius who could do anything...

I was planning on trying this piece when my lessons resume in a month or two with my teacher.  I've also toyed around with it.

Make sure your elbow carries the hand from position to position on the keyboard, relaxing the fingers between chords.  Make sure your hand is "free", ready to play anything, not "relaxed", otherwise the technique falls apart.  

Since I haven't formally worked on this piece I'm not sure whether it will work or not.  Maybe if you find a solution, you can tell me about it in case my idea doesn't work out.
thanx
donjuan  

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 07:55:44 AM
I' ve been studying this etude for 4 months.The problem is that my left hand gets tired after the second page and I can't play it too fast!Anybody to help?

if you've been practicing it for that long and still get tense, you probably need an easier piece
rach on!

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 08:27:15 AM

if you've been practicing it for that long and still get tense, you probably need an easier piece

that's a good load of nonsense!  always attempt difficult work.  otherwise you will never get better.

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2004, 11:12:40 AM
and yet.... always attempt a difficult piece, but not one that is out of your reach... It sounds as thoug h this piece might be - if it's really been 4 months, put it aside, play something else, and then come back to it when you're ready to...

Offline libra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2004, 11:29:56 PM
Thank u all for your help,I 'll follow your advice!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert