Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: .  (Read 6657 times)

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
on: December 24, 2007, 06:17:04 AM

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Hi marik,

Let me be the first to congratulate you here on your wonderful performance of the Moment Musical No. 6.  It's absolutely splendid!  Most attention usually goes to programming the Preludes and Etudes Tableaux.  The Moments Musicaux, from 1894, are early Rachmaninoff, but he also wrote some of his most beautiful works in that era such as these wonderful Moments, and you totally capture his ravishing romanticism in your playing.   

Your selection of tempo could not have been better.  I believe that for No. 6 there is a very narrow range for selecting tempo.  I have heard the piece played too fast as virtuosic display, which then harms the whole feeling of mestoso.  Your tempo seems perfect to capture the composer's intended mournful mood.  I also like how you voice and etch the melody and phrase it into a long line despite the difficult and demanding filigree constantly intertwined with it, including the accompaniment within the right hand.  Very magisterial playing indeed!  Thanks for posting it.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Bravo for both marik. I'm always impressed by the clarity of your playing, in these cases particularly the Rachmaninov which is often played muddily. The soft repetition in the Prelude was very beautiful, to play so softly and without losing the focus of the tone os no mean feat. Excellent.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Marik,

thank you for this great performance i hope you'll post some more recordings.

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
As I told you before, Marik, your performances are marvellous. The result is dazzling. I might repeat myself but you're an outstanding pianist and I'm still  having doubts about your real identity. You have the right to do so!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Paul
Music soothes the savage breast.
Paul Naud

Offline daniel patschan

• PS Silver Member
As I told you before, Marik, your performances are marvellous. The result is dazzling. I might repeat myself but you're an outstanding pianist and I'm still  having doubts about your real identity. You have the right to do so!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Paul

Yes, who are you ?  ???

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
Yes, who are you ? 
He won't tell you!
Paul Naud

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
I had never heard the Bach Siloti - superb - I just closed my eyes and basked in it. Thanks.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline minstrel

• PS Silver Member
The Rachmaninov is excellent, but I have one comment. Many of the chords are late rhythmically. I think this is ok to do in select places for extra effect, but to do it across the entire piece it can be a little tiresome, as many bars are slowing down to accomodate down-beat chords. To some extent perhaps this fits the maestoso, but again I think you need to be more selective. I think overall the playing is excellent, just needs a little more rhythmic intensity.

Offline PaulNaud

• PS Silver Member
The Rachmaninov is excellent, but I have one comment. Many of the chords are late rhythmically. I think this is ok to do in select places for extra effect, but to do it across the entire piece it can be a little tiresome, as many bars are slowing down to accomodate down-beat chords. To some extent perhaps this fits the maestoso, but again I think you need to be more selective. I think overall the playing is excellent, just needs a little more rhythmic intensity.
I don't agree with you. I don't hear these chords late rhythmically. I think that what you're talking about is more related to interpretation. You probably don't like a kind of rubato approach typical to romantic music. It is definitely played in the spirit of rachmaninov.
Paul Naud

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninov, Moment Musicaux C Major, Bach-Siloti, Prelude b minor
Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 05:17:54 AM
I agree with PaulNaud - I find this interpretation entirely consistent not only with the spirit of Rachmaninov but, in particular, with this and some of his other similar works (Preludes, Etudes Tableaux, etc.).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline minstrel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 02:49:15 PM
I don't agree with you. I don't hear these chords late rhythmically. I think that what you're talking about is more related to interpretation. You probably don't like a kind of rubato approach typical to romantic music. It is definitely played in the spirit of rachmaninov.

Well just about every bar, there is extra time being taken to set up the chord for the beginning of the next bar, so they are rhythmically late.

I actually do enjoy rubato.. I stated that in my post. But to slow down near every bar is excessive in my opinion. Rubato is great, but it can't undermine the rhythmic integrity as a whole in my opinion. It should add dimension to the current rhythm, not undermine it. In this respect, the performance, while very good overall, feels tentative, and almost to the point of tediousness, because we are often waiting that extra time for certain important notes. And to be honest, when we are in mid-phrase that is entirely inappropriate, even for a rubato-oriented interpretation, which I don't even think this is, but regardless. It needs more shape, and slow downs a little less predictable and more judicious, then I think it would be world class.

As for the spirit of Rachmaninov, have you ever heard his actual recordings? They are much closer to austere and classical, than being romantic in an overblown way if that is what you are suggesting.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 06:58:56 AM

I think it is a very good observation.
You know, very often we take things for granted and once get used to them don't even pay attention to the flaws.
That's the reason I always like to play for somebody I trust before the concerts. It happened this piece was completely brand new and that was only a second time on stage.

Listening back, I start understanding what has happened, as now I can clearly see a discrepancy between the 1/32nds motorics, the flow of 1/8s and their melodic rhythm, and tempo of long Maestoso chords in general and their line. Somehow all those just did not click together or did not get into some resonance. 

I will need to touch it with my hands to see what's going on and maybe find some other ways. Most likely the "truth" will be somewhere in the middle, but I appreciate your comment and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Best, M

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:35:34 AM
I think the moment musical was genius. That was intensely and very beautifuly played. I liked the way you phrased everything and the way you bring out the harmonic progressions, and the way you wave trough the chromaticism. Do you play the complete moments musicaux? I'm looking forward to more of your recordings!

Offline paulpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 03:13:22 AM
I think the moment musical was genius. That was intensely and very beautifuly played. I liked the way you phrased everything and the way you bring out the harmonic progressions, and the way you wave trough the chromaticism. Do you play the complete moments musicaux? I'm looking forward to more of your recordings!
What a performance! :)
This is of your own artistic view and a very convincing one! ;)

Offline paulpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 03:27:21 AM
By the way, compare with this performance:
https://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZMSMAGB2g&feature=related

Offline paulpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 03:34:36 AM
Definitely Marik's performance is the best!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 05:00:17 AM
By the way, compare with this performance:
https://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=cXZMSMAGB2g&feature=related

That other performance is definitely very good and I would not deem it inferior in quality to Marik's one, at least not significantly! ... you have to consider the fact that Marik's record has far better sound quality, also.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 03:31:17 PM
i listened to the rach. good job, marik.
dignity, love and joy.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert