Piano Forum

A Livestreamed Chopin Celebration in Warsaw
While the 18th Chopin Competition in Warsaw is postponed until 2021, the Chopin Institute will not leave the piano world lot-less. Beginning October 1st the Institute will celebrate Chopin's music and pianism through a series of piano masters' recitals and chamber concerts by a wonderful lineup of some of the most outstanding pianists of the previous editions of the competition. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Preludes  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Preludes
on: April 28, 2004, 04:06:57 AM
Which are your fav's and which do you play or wish to play? What do you think of the Preludes? I think they are wonderful. My Fav's include 15, 16, 17, 24... Well now that I think about it, I like nearly all of them!  ::)

-Tony-
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Preludes
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 06:33:49 AM
i love all of them too... i just watched Pillini play all of them on sunday... :D

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 10:11:06 PM
I love #7 and #15 cause I can play them, even though they're a couple of Chopin's easiest pieces : )

Also - #'s 1, 16, 20, 21

have only heard about 10 of them total though

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 11:40:53 PM
Chopin’s preludes are amongst his most profound compositions – if not the most profound. I like to listen to them in their entirety as a cycle. One informs the others.

Have a look in this thread for more opinions on them:

https://www.pianoforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=repo;action=display;num=1077165206

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Daevren

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 03:38:50 AM
Some of them are really nice. I once listened to them and I got some kind of laugh kick. I don't know if the music did that or something else, totally random did that. I wasn't even paying attention to the music that well. Hmm, could be something else, but I never have that so who knows.

They are very chopinesque for sure. I think I like 16 best.

But preludes are just too short. I think the most optinal lenght would be around 8 to 14 minutes. A nice sonata-allegro. Or an epic rock song, or a wild and lengthy improvisation. But that just me.

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 03:51:52 AM
I love number 4 (or whichever is in E minor). I always get terribly upset when I play it.
Yeah, sometimes they feel way too short. But then again, I don't know what should be added to them.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert