Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Children with behavioral issues  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Jenny Lynn

• PS Silver Member
Children with behavioral issues
on: April 28, 2004, 08:00:01 PM
Hi.
I give private lessons to young beginners, and I was recently contacted by a foster home about coming in for lessons for four of their kids there.  I've been informed that they all have behavioral issues and attention difficulties.  I've been brainstorming for things to do to keep their attention for 30 min., besides the usual lesson material.  So far, I've thought of rhythm games (marching around, playing a drum, etc...) I would appreciate suggestions from anyone who's been there.
-Jenny Lynn

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Children with behavioral issues
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 12:08:21 AM
Are you sure you want to do this?

Why does this foster home wants piano lessons for these four kids?

1. Are they musically inclined and very motivated towards learning a musical instrument? If so, go for it, there will be much personal satisfaction and you will learn a lot as a teacher by accepting this assignment.

2. Are they problem-children and some well meaning psychologist/counsellor suggested that they have music lessons as a way to deal with their behavioural problems? If so, I would think long and hard before accepting such an assignement. In fact ,unless you have interest/ training in music therapy (itself a very shaky ground) I would not touch this with a barge pole.

But then again you may give us some more details.

By the way, there is no rule that says that you should give 30 minute lessons (I assume weekly). If the attention span is small, start with shorter lessons. I myself have a very peculiar way of teaching. Have a look here for a description.

https://www.pianoforum.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=teac;action=display;num=1076294560

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Jenny Lynn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 12:38:08 AM
The woman who called me from the home said that these four children had expressed an interest in music lessons, and I feel it would be a great gift that I could give them.
I had read your "syllabus" already, and I was glad to pick up a few tips!  I do have a few kids that I see bi-weekly, however, in this area, most kids are scheduled so tightly that more than once a week is not an option.  In this case, specifically, the children have very hard schedules, and are only available once a week, although I did suggest shorter, more frequent sessions to them.
So, have any suggestions for single or group activities?

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 01:34:42 PM
The best reference I came accross (you may know it already) is:

Michiko Yurko – Music Mind Games – Warner Bros. Publishing.

Depending on their age, you may find this useful:

Rhoda Rabin – At the beginning – Teaching piano to the very young child – Schirmer books

Finally, have a look at Candida’s Tobin incredible material. Her website is:

https://www.tobinmusic.co.uk/btconnect/index.html

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert