Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Scraibin: Etude op 8 no 12... feedback appreciated :)  (Read 4672 times)

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Hi, Pianostreet community!
I am a guy who is fifteen years old, and who has recently discovered a new composer: Scriabin. My teacher saw my interest and we got started on this piece...

This morning I did a quick recording of how I play it at the moment. I know that it is not very good quality, a few misses, and I didn't think the build-up to the climax was good enough either, among other things. But tell me what you think! Both positive and negative comments are wellcome, as long as they are constructive :)

Thanks for any replies ;)

Offline dana_minmin

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scraibin: Etude op 8 no 12... feedback appreciated :)
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 11:33:53 AM
ok, here's the first reply. I've tried this piece before but haven't learn it yet, so I know how hard it is.

The first half is better than the second half, so I guess you learnt it chronologically. About the second half, the RH lower voice is not quite even, and you tend to slow things down when there're a lot happening or were you trying to express?

I hope I can play this piece in the future. :)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:07:45 PM
A bit slow maybe, work on your sound, it's harsh. I don't think this performance is mature enough for more constructive criticism that you couldn't be told by anobody. You should work on phrasing, get it a bit faster, and see how you can make it flow. The most important part is to work on your sound. It's harsh.

Offline gspt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:02:06 AM
For somebody 15 years old, you are phenomenal at playing this piece. Keep it up and keep practicing it.

Offline antichrist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 12:22:49 PM
For somebody 15 years old, you are phenomenal at playing this piece. Keep it up and keep practicing it.
well true,but Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 02:38:58 PM
I think this is a very good start to the piece.  You kept a steady pace throughout, which is far more beneficial than speed at this stage of learning. 

Next you could work on shaping your interpretation of the piece.  Dynamics, phrasing, accentuation of certain key figures, etc.  Also work on tone as others have mentioned.  I feel some of the harshness is actually coming from the tone of the piano. 

Try practicing the entire piece as degrees of p.  So ppp, pp, p, but nothing louder than p. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 09:19:13 AM
The piano should be used as fire wood. This piece just cannot be played on such a poor instrument. Now start practicing it on a better piano and you will play a lot better.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:58:20 PM
The piano should be used as fire wood. This piece just cannot be played on such a poor instrument. Now start practicing it on a better piano and you will play a lot better.

Let's burn people who have less intelligence or weaker physical abilities. Let's burn untalented people. Let's burn stupid people. Let's burn uneducated people. Let's burn inferior races. Let's burn feminists. Let's burn fat people. Let's burn you.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:25:29 PM
To me, playing such an advanced piece on a poor piano is like someone doing fancy BMX or motorbike tricks on a tricycle (maybe that is an over exaggeration but you get the drift). The instrument itself does not reflect anything to do with a person personally. Playing on poor instruments just chokes the life out of what you would be able to and want to express and this recording is a good example of this in action. The piano is more suited for Honky Tonk style music :)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 05:22:18 AM
To me, playing such an advanced piece on a poor piano is like someone doing fancy BMX or motorbike tricks on a tricycle (maybe that is an over exaggeration but you get the drift). The instrument itself does not reflect anything to do with a person personally. Playing on poor instruments just chokes the life out of what you would be able to and want to express and this recording is a good example of this in action. The piano is more suited for Honky Tonk style music :)

Actually, my post wasn't ironic either.  :D

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:30:20 PM
The piano is more suited for Honky Tonk style music

It's certainly out of tune but I don't think one can tell much about it beyond that.

Didn't listen all the way through but it's not a bad start at all. Yes, the speed's tame, but  doubt I could have done any better at 15. Probably not nearly as well.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline jbmorel78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:13:19 AM
Dear Lelle,

I would like to suggest two things that will improve what already is a very good performance:

1) Consider carefully which of the notes in the left hand are most important, emphasizing them by giving them more time and compressing the others.

2) Each time when comes the triplet followed by four sixteenths (last two dotted & 32nd), consider the first note of the triplet the beginning, with the six following tones accelerated toward the downbeat. 

Mostly, this performance could benefit from some lightness, and building on a good rhythmic foundation, a bit of freedom/rubato!  Congratulations on laying some very good groundwork :-)

Best wishes,
Jean-Baptiste Morel
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert