Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Etude in 3rds  (Read 4706 times)

Offline pmz310

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Etude in 3rds
on: April 13, 2008, 03:38:09 PM
 I'm starting to learn it, can those whose have studied it share theit experiences?

peace out,
  Paul
"Lets put a smile on that face of yours" -Heath Ledger

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Etude in 3rds
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:46:04 PM
you mean opus 25/6?
1+1=11

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 04:53:58 PM
I have a couple pieces of advice:

1) I find 13-25 to be the most reliable on the opening trill, having formerly used 23-15 and experiencing various levels of (un)evenness on each piano.  Furthermore, 13-25 is a very different movement than 23-15 and I find that it has a better sound.

2) Think polyphonically - some hear the piece with a succession of thirds, rather than two lines harmonized at the interval of a third.  Along with this goes the notion of subphrasing, which helps in any kind of run (both double and single notes).

3) Last, but certainly not least!: Have a "sound image" of the piece, i.e. a musical idea for it.  It helps tremendously to think in terms of sound colors and phrasing, rather than in movements and technical difficulties (though it is true that some time must be spend on these things so that they can be solved and the music freed).

All the best to you!

Offline pmz310

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 04:58:31 PM
you mean opus 25/6?

yes, and thank you michael
"Lets put a smile on that face of yours" -Heath Ledger

Offline s_bussotti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:03:13 PM
13-24-13-25 is the best fingering, but takes the most practice.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 07:15:16 PM
i use 14-25. I think it depends on your strenght/weakness. On the other side, its an etude, so you maybe should do the (common) fingering wich is hardest for you.
1+1=11

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:26:54 PM
I used to use 13 25 but now I use 14 25 becasue you it's easier to get into the next bit legato. Plus you have to use 14 25 later on, and it's convenient to use it all the time. It's a very nice fingering to be able to use as well. It does take developing though.

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 05:24:25 PM
I second the 14/25 usage esp. at meas 4 where 14/25/14/32 then of course the 52 prep for the ascending chromatic beginning at meas 5. This etude, among other things, is intended to help develop use of 4th and 5th fingers.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 07:56:01 PM
I second the 14/25 usage esp. at meas 4 where 14/25/14/32 then of course the 52 prep for the ascending chromatic beginning at meas 5. This etude, among other things, is intended to help develop use of 4th and 5th fingers.

Actually, Chopin writes "3" on the first third.

Offline gerry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:03 AM
Actually, Chopin writes "3" on the first third.
Whatever ::) Good luck PMZ.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den, der heimlich lauschet.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 11:18:55 AM
Whatever ::) Good luck PMZ.

I'm unsure of the meaning of your emoticon - do you believe that:

a) Henle's research is incorrect?
b) This fingering only applies to the first note, while the rest is to be done 4-5-4-5 etc.?
c) The number is only the indication of the finger he haughtily displays to those of us who endeavor to play this challenging study?

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:27 AM
If you'll pardon a brief digression, I must say that I find it hard not to think of that piece without remembering a bit of it played on television by Peter Maxwell Davies who is, after all, not especially well known as a Chopin interpreter; the occasion was when he was interviewed for a programme about his old friend and colleague John Ogdon and he sought to demonstrate how hard that opening was for him whereas, of course, Ogdon took it in his stride without even thinking about it. I'm sure that PMD never worried overmuch about the most suitable fingering...
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:54:17 PM
If you'll pardon a brief digression, I must say that I find it hard not to think of that piece without remembering a bit of it played on television by Peter Maxwell Davies who is, after all, not especially well known as a Chopin interpreter; the occasion was when he was interviewed for a programme about his old friend and colleague John Ogdon and he sought to demonstrate how hard that opening was for him whereas, of course, Ogdon took it in his stride without even thinking about it. I'm sure that PMD never worried overmuch about the most suitable fingering...

PMD couldn't play it though lol, so he clearly didn't think about the fingering lol! No offence to the guy, I admire him very much and have a lot of respect for him, but he can't play that opening.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert