Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Moonlight sonata: How hard is it?  (Read 20233 times)

Offline chongkeat

• PS Silver Member
Moonlight sonata: How hard is it?
on: May 05, 2008, 01:49:26 PM
I want to learn this piece, but I have some questions.
1. Can it be played on a 61-key keyboard?
2. Is it suitable for my skill level? I've tried Nocturne Op9No2, so is it around that level of difficulty?

Thanks.

Offline feddera

• PS Silver Member
Re: Moonlight sonata: How hard is it?
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
Do you mean the first movement or all three?
1. No.
2. I'd say the first movement is easier than op9no2, but the third would be much harder.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 05:25:56 PM
1) No, there's no serious classical music wich can be played on any keyboard. Get a clavinova or an accoustic piano if you want to play classical music ;)
2) the 3rd movement is harder than op9/2. Btw, the first (famous) movement is technically easy, but musically quite hard.
1+1=11

Offline shortyshort

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:23:03 PM
Can you play Nocturne Op9No2 on a 61-key keyboard?

If God really exists, then why haven't I got more fingers?

Offline dnephi

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 01:31:30 AM
How well do you want to play it?
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline chongkeat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:37:28 AM
I've played Nocturne about 80%, then I realised that I need an extra octave to my right, so that's why I posted this topic asking about Moonlight to avoid repeating the same mistake again.

Oh, and do any of you know any pieces that can be played with 61 keys?

Offline chongkeat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 02:50:54 AM
Do you mean the first movement or all three?

I was hoping to play all three, but after checking all of them out on youtube (I had no idea that there were three movements. I've only heard the first one.) The third movement seems impossible, at least at my level, so i dunno...... Maybe just the first two?

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:57:47 AM
I've always understood that the pianos Beethoven wrote his earliest works for had fewer than 88 keys. Was I wrong?

Offline shortyshort

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:03:09 PM

I'm not sure, but I think Mozart "Rondo Alla Turca" can be played.  :)
If God really exists, then why haven't I got more fingers?

Offline feddera

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 09:59:52 PM
I was hoping to play all three, but after checking all of them out on youtube (I had no idea that there were three movements. I've only heard the first one.) The third movement seems impossible, at least at my level, so i dunno...... Maybe just the first two?

I too considered learning the first movment of the moonlight sonata when I got into classical music. However, as already pointed out, it's hard to do a that well-known piece justice, and you really don't know the "moonlight sonata" if you're only playing parts of it. So I changed my mind, and will only learn it when I am sure I can pull off all movements. In your case you don't even have a large enough keyboard, so I'd wait a little longer.

Why don't you try sonata no.19 or sonata no.20 (op49) ? They are both only two movements each, so you don't need half a year to learn the notes, and an excellent introduction to Beethovens sonatas. Except for maybe 3 or 4 non-essential notes on the left hand, they can be played on a 61-note keyboard too.

Offline chongkeat

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 02:54:29 AM
OK, then.
Checklist:
1. Rondo Alla Turca
2. Piano Sonata No 19/20

Thanks.

Offline xpjamiexd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 04:19:07 PM
I want to learn this piece, but I have some questions.
1. Can it be played on a 61-key keyboard?
2. Is it suitable for my skill level? I've tried Nocturne Op9No2, so is it around that level of difficulty?

Thanks.

1) Technically it can be altered by moving everything up an octave, though even then not all of it can be played. To give the piece the respect it deserves you should play it either on a Clavichord or Acoustic piano (I use a Clavichord) as you need the control and weighting to get the right sound.

2) Although the piece is technically not very challenging the real test is doing it justice by bringing out the melody as a 3rd voice.

Offline queenrock

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 04:24:25 PM
I've always understood that the pianos Beethoven wrote his earliest works for had fewer than 88 keys. Was I wrong?

Beethoven had 2 and a half octaves above middle C first of all, then i think around 1803ish he got one with 3 octaves above middle C, which caused him to revise his 3rd piano concerto in C minor.

Offline pelajarpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 02:59:28 PM
I've played Nocturne about 80%, then I realised that I need an extra octave to my right, so that's why I posted this topic asking about Moonlight to avoid repeating the same mistake again.

[/quote

Yes, i can play rondo alla turca with 61 key.
and one again, if i am not mistaken, it is The Flight of Bumble bee..
No one is perfect and have no fault, but I will do the best

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 03:54:41 PM
hey chong!
most of the repertory before the 19th century is suited to play with 61 keys. french baroque music, bach, haydn, mozart...the list is quite long. some early 20th century music is possible as well: bartok, stravinsky, turina.

of course, some subtleties are impossible and your technique (in a broad sense) will not develop properly. anyway, it's better than nothing, isn't it?

i would only say to get away from any piece that require something else, even the 62th key. furthermore, pieces that require precise and/or extensive use of the pedal you should avoid. then, beethoven's opus 27/2 is a very bad idea.

best!

ps: sorry. about your actual question, i agree with people said: the first is way harder to render musically than the nocturne (and probably impossible on a keyboard - even a 88-key one), and the third is way harder to get under your fingers.

pps: anyway...if you want just to have fun, and don't care about anything else, play whatever you like and be happy.  ;)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert