Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What note is this?  (Read 4503 times)

Offline iv76erson03

• PS Silver Member
What note is this?
on: May 10, 2008, 03:52:15 AM
Hey All! I have a complete beginner question, but this looks like the right place.

What note is this from Moonlight Sonata?:

There isn't a sharp on this key, so what do I hit? Thanks!

Offline puphead

• PS Silver Member
Re: What note is this?
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 03:57:46 AM
it's B# so hit C

Offline iv76erson03

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 04:01:02 AM
Thank you! I was confused because I didn't know why they don't just draw a C on there.

Offline general disarray

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 04:38:39 AM
That's a good question and to answer it fully you need to study theory and harmony.  It's worth the effort.  Ask your teacher about it.
" . . . cross the ocean in a silver plane . . . see the jungle when it's wet with rain . . . "

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:29 PM
Hopefully I'm reading htis right...

The first chord is a G# dominant chord.  A V7 chord in c# minor.  G# B# D# F#  Technically still a B#, although it's the same key as C natural.  I was waiting for something else to say it.

That B# is very important.  It leads up to the home base tonice note of C#.  You can see that in beat 2.

That's why your teacher will be all over you if you miss it.  It's not like playing another missed note.  That's an important note and B natural isn't the same thing at all.

Don't forget the other B# on beat four.  Beat four is the G#V7 again.  The notes have just shifted.  I see c# next in the bass.  I bet there is a c# coming up soon that the B# resolves too.  If you see the next B in ( ) 's or if the next B is marked natural, those are courtesy accidentals to remind the performer that that note has gone back to natural.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline berrt

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 02:36:29 PM
Thank you! I was confused because I didn't know why they don't just draw a C on there.
that had required a "natural" sign

Offline xpjamiexd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 03:26:03 PM
Yeah as has already been said the note is a C natural. B# is used particularly in songs that are in keys such as C# minor to save having to indicate a natural next to the C, the same is true of using notes such a Cb to indicate a B natural in song that is in E - flat minor.

Offline sborovic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:10:30 PM
Why do you play Moonlight sonata (which is very hard to play though) when you don't even know the basics?

Offline lau

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 06:16:22 PM
Why do you play Moonlight sonata (which is very hard to play though) when you don't even know the basics?

I have been playing for 9 years. and am playing chopin etudes, and about just a year ago i figured out that if there is an accidental in a measure, it makes that note accidented for the whole measure.
i'm not asian

Offline shortyshort

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:25:12 PM
I have been playing for 9 years. and am playing chopin etudes, and about just a year ago i figured out that if there is an accidental in a measure, it makes that note accidented for the whole measure.

Really?  :o

What did that sound like?  :'(
If God really exists, then why haven't I got more fingers?

Offline sborovic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 01:38:16 PM

It's like you don't know the alphabet, and try to read Kafka's short stories  :-\

Offline tompilk

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 01:56:49 PM
you should take a look at some of alkan's music. it's terrible to read... double sharps and e# and b# everywhere!!!
Working on: Schubert - Piano Sonata D.664, Ravel - Sonatine, Ginastera - Danzas Argentinas

Offline slobone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 04:09:23 AM
you should take a look at some of alkan's music. it's terrible to read... double sharps and e# and b# everywhere!!!
Chopin too. In fact I was reading a mazurka recently that starts out in a particular key, then modulates after just a few measures. For the rest of the piece, there are double sharps everywhere because he never gets around to changing the key signature. What a pain!

Offline xpjamiexd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 01:57:29 PM
I though I'd say that also in Moonlight Sonata there is also a change of cleffs (treble to bass) so you have to then read the treble as if it too were a bass cleff.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert