Piano Forum

Topic: VIDEO: Chopin Nocturne in C# minor  (Read 2531 times)

Offline totallyclassics

• PS Silver Member
VIDEO: Chopin Nocturne in C# minor
on: May 16, 2008, 09:34:06 PM
I decided to post the piece that didn't go so well because there are some good parts.....
This is the last piece I performed out of 4 in the recital......I lost focus, and there were many errors......but all in all......I guess it wasn't quite as bad as I was thinking.....

I appreciate your comments....

Thanks.

Offline feddera

• PS Silver Member
Re: VIDEO: Chopin Nocturne in C# minor
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:11:48 PM
I liked it! I didn't notice much errors at all. Do you mind explaining how you do the trill in measure 47?  :P

Offline russda_man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:04 AM
I decided to post the piece that didn't go so well because there are some good parts.....
This is the last piece I performed out of 4 in the recital......I lost focus, and there were many errors......but all in all......I guess it wasn't quite as bad as I was thinking.....

Thanks.

I liked your performance. Great control over tone and clarity. Mistakes didn't matter.

Offline 8426

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:08:34 AM
Very beautifuly performed. I hope you will post more of your enlightening performances.

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:40:10 AM
I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos today from pianoforum, and this is the most artistic.  You should keep studying and adding more pieces to your repertoire.  The trills are not expressive enough, and you should strive to make them as divers and beautiful as you do the other parts.  Trills never have to be done the same way twice, can be played at different speeds, with different dynamic features, and varying levels of legato.  I urge you to experiment.

If you feel uncomfortable playing the trills, imagine you are "dusting" the keys of the piano (that's how Beethoven's technique was described).  Don't play down into the keys, but stroke them outwards.

I recommend finding an out-of-print but excellent in every way book by Charles Cooke, called "Playing the Piano for Pleasure."  It may help you to prevent small memory lapses like that happened in this video.  It has a ton of amazing suggestions that help both adult students and professionals.

Keep up the good work!

Walter Ramsey

Offline totallyclassics

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 08:51:30 AM
Thanks to all for your comments........It truly means a lot to me... I love playing more than anything, and in partiular Chopin, or more romantic, "feeling" pieces... It feels good when you go out on a limb, and even though you mess up........there are people to support your efforts and share ideas that keep mishaps from happening in the future!   I truly want to perform this piece again!   This time I will play ONE piece!  Not four!

Thanks again for your comments!   ;D

Offline sarrasani

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 01:20:08 AM

Thanks.

You made a good thing to share it. All we are too much depending from avoiding mistakes, and we sometimes tend to not pay attention to other more important qualities. Very good sound and phrasing, rounded and comunicative, well balanced and fluent. It's different from my version , but this is an advantage for you :) :)
Congratulations and all the best,
Sandro
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert