Piano Forum

Poems of Ecstasy – Scriabin’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
The great early 20th-century composer Alexander Scriabin left us 74 published opuses, and several unpublished manuscripts, mainly from his teenage years – when he would never go to bed without first putting a copy of Chopin’s music under his pillow. All of these scores (220 pieces in total) can now be found on Piano Street’s Scriabin page. Read more >>

Topic: Fantaisie Impromptu question/s  (Read 4660 times)

Offline aewanko

• PS Silver Member
Fantaisie Impromptu question/s
on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:45 AM
Is it true that this piece had 2 versions?
Is it also true that most pianists play the first version?

im a bit confused right now :-\
Trying to return to playing the piano.

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fantaisie Impromptu question/s
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:48:30 PM
Do you have a  source for this?

If I have ever heard this hypothesis before it has long been forgotten.

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:16:57 PM
Do you have a  source for this?

If I have ever heard this hypothesis before it has long been forgotten.

I f you D/L the piano street version it says "First version, copy for Marie Lichtenstein". Whatever that implies. Possibly that Chopin was a gold digger.
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 02:53:11 AM
The posthumously published edition of this impromptu was prepared by one of his students, Fontana.  It is quite different to the actual autograph.  Some notable differences are that it is simplified and more technically accessible (too easy, even for Chopin to write); inner voices are altered, notes are deleted, expressive markings altered, et al.  Any pianist who is well-familiarized with Chopin's musical and technical oeuvre will note that the Fontana edition is not what Chopin would have written - it doesn't feel genuine nor does it sound genuine.

Most pianist play the Fontana edition because it was the first and most widely available and it is easier to play.  Also, most pianists are unaware that they are using the Fontana edition as they are ignorant of any other edition.

Fontana edited most of Chopin's works that were published posthumously including his Op.69 Waltzes, which also differ from the autograph.  The B minor Waltz (of this same opus) adds an inner voice which adds to the texture and actually sounds better than the autograph.

The Autogrpah score was composed for Madame la Baronne d'Este.

Offline jordan christopher

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 10:11:46 AM
Guys did you know that chopin regretted in composong this piece???!!!!!!!  ??? ???actually before he died he told/asked his student to burn this piece but his student did not burn it...
Well, i dont know the reasons behind why chopin hated this impromptu (which really sounds beautiful) hahahaah......... anyway the inbetween notes are so hard to play...!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 06:33:56 PM
hey, once you guys are done with FI. you should really learn OC...

*runs and hides...
Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of identity theft.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:09:33 PM
Yes, there are two versions of this, but only slight differences. As someone already said: He hated this impromptu. I've even heard he stole the theme from someone else, and that's why he hated it. It wasn't even published until after his death.

Offline aewanko

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:43:29 AM
The posthumously published edition of this impromptu was prepared by one of his students, Fontana.  It is quite different to the actual autograph.  Some notable differences are that it is simplified and more technically accessible (too easy, even for Chopin to write); inner voices are altered, notes are deleted, expressive markings altered, et al.  Any pianist who is well-familiarized with Chopin's musical and technical oeuvre will note that the Fontana edition is not what Chopin would have written - it doesn't feel genuine nor does it sound genuine.

Most pianist play the Fontana edition because it was the first and most widely available and it is easier to play.  Also, most pianists are unaware that they are using the Fontana edition as they are ignorant of any other edition.

Fontana edited most of Chopin's works that were published posthumously including his Op.69 Waltzes, which also differ from the autograph.  The B minor Waltz (of this same opus) adds an inner voice which adds to the texture and actually sounds better than the autograph.

The Autogrpah score was composed for Madame la Baronne d'Este.

In other words, a commission?
Trying to return to playing the piano.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:45 AM
This all seems like much ado about nothing.  I dont think they would even be able to tell the difference.

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 06:49:39 AM
This is the piece to learn after learning Fur Elise..

*runs*

To be honest, I am actually learning this piece after returning to piano from a year's break....
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:04:07 AM
It doesnt seem like the right piece to take up after a year's absence!  Do something more amitious.  Even op 10, no. 3 would be better than that.  That's actually a lovely piece in its entirety.  I know you can't argue taste, but that is SO hackneyed Chopin.  It'd be enough to turn ME off to the piano. 
You know what?  Why don't you take up Mendelssohn's Rondo capriccioso?  Its popular, not that difficult, and fun to play.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:16:38 PM
I've even heard he stole the theme from someone else, and that's why he hated it.

Well he didn't steal the actual theme, but one of the runs is exactly the same one that you find in moonlight sonata mvt 3, at the end. Not that it is the most important part of the theme, but still...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:39:28 PM
One might wonder the circumstances of the FI's composition.  Was Chopin randomly improvising during a time when he was studying the Moonlight?  Maybe he needed a "lick" in C# minor going downwards and this Beethoven thing was in his fingers. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 05:34:18 PM
One might wonder the circumstances of the FI's composition.  Was Chopin randomly improvising during a time when he was studying the Moonlight?  Maybe he needed a "lick" in C# minor going downwards and this Beethoven thing was in his fingers. 

Here's another theory. A search for Moscheles will uncover more information on this topic. Seems that Freddy was absorbing things subconciously, but caught himself before publishing.

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,19481.msg211453.html#msg211453

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline tangy111

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 12:02:38 PM
Guys did you know that chopin regretted in composong this piece???!!!!!!!  ??? ???actually before he died he told/asked his student to burn this piece but his student did not burn it...
Well, i dont know the reasons behind why chopin hated this impromptu (which really sounds beautiful) hahahaah......... anyway the inbetween notes are so hard to play...!!!!!!!!!!!
Quite simply because he thoughtit was too similar to beethoven's moonlight sonata
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert