Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: survey--In what key is it the most difficult to pl  (Read 27249 times)

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Survey--In what key (preferrably major) is it the most difficult or awkward to play?  I cannot tolerate playing in the key of B-flat major.  The next worse one is E-flat major.  A-flat major is better still (so the more flats, the merrier--lol)
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: survey--In what key is it the most difficult t
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 11:05:14 AM
Depends on the piece, and how it fits your hands. Other than that, C major is the most difficult key.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 12:49:15 PM
Hmoll is right.

Physically the most difficult key to play is C major, closely followed by the spare accidental ones, G major, F major, Bb major and D major. As the accidentals increase so does the facility with the easiest keys being the ones with most accidentals: B major, Gb major, and Db major. The reason is simple: they conform very well to the anatomy of the hand: the long fingers (234) play the black keys, the short fingers (15) play the white keys.

Most people freak out when they see heavy key signatures, but actually this is a problem only if you do not know your scales well, or if you follow the common teaching approach of learning C major first, then G major and so on and so forth. If you start learning scales with B major, Gb major, and Db major, and proceed from there by subtracting a sharp/flat, soon you will be so conversant with these scales that there should be no problem in either memorising/recognising black key pattern, or sight-reading through them.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 02:49:50 PM
i personally do not like G major or minor, or anything in G, and i had a thing against F for a while but am over that now. Which is kind of odd since whenever i had to compose something it tended to end up in G major. ye i think the flats are the best, i love Db/C# and Ab and Eb and F#, etc.! I find C better than G though.
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 01:36:35 AM

If you start learning scales with B major, Gb major, and Db major, and proceed from there by subtracting a sharp/flat,

Yes, I agree with this method of learning/teaching!  I think that it's best to start with D-flat major and G-flat major because the only difference between the two is which note to play when coming upon the white keys (do I play E or F? B or C?)
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 02:46:46 AM
Yes... I agree with this method of teaching. Personally, I have huge problems with D major. I dont know why, but whenever I play arpegios I get freaked out by the unsimetric way the black keys are spread out.... and in scales, my hands dont find confortable the pass from b to c#... just something personal. I have similar problems with Bb major and A major, but D major is my one dreaded key.
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline Derek

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 05:47:05 AM
It seems to me then that physical difficulties when playing the piano must be an exceedingly personal matter. Obviously there cannot be a single key that is most difficult to play in for everyone, as these posts demonstrate.

In my own experience I am finding it is simply a matter of how often I play in certain keys and how familiar I am with them. At this point there are no keys that I find particularly difficult to play in,  however I do agree with the above post that certain keys "fit the hands" because of the opposable thumb.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 08:17:03 PM
 I was originally embarrased to say that it was "C-major" but am glad to see a lot of people agree with me. ;D

koji
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 05:59:07 AM
yes, after the piece is learned the key of C major is quite awkward to play in.....however, for learning pieces and sight reading, i really don't like c sharp major.....this is probably due to the fact that i am very familiar with Db major and my mind still stubbornly wants to treat them like the same key signature.
rach on!

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 07:55:59 AM
I've got a strange fear of F minor. I don't know why. It is my least favourite key to play, but I like it when other people play it.
C major is so hard for scales, because if you mess up slightly, the rest is likely to go out the window because there just aren't any reference points.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert