Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bartok - Allegro Barbaro - ELP Version  (Read 9959 times)

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Bartok - Allegro Barbaro - ELP Version
on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:01 AM
What a wonderful version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgSLXqv-1CQ

Do you like it?
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bartok - Allegro Barbaro - ELP Version
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:43:45 AM
Either what or LMFAO at this one. That's a kind of joke right?

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:27:15 PM
Either what or LMFAO at this one. That's a kind of joke right?

Of course it's not a joke ::)

I like it, although I believe they have done betters things.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 05:49:53 PM
Of course it's not a joke ::)

No comment.

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:29:37 AM
ELP has never done a good cover of anything classical. They need to stick to original material.

Offline webern78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:57 AM
Pop musicians generally suck at everything other then being big children all their lives. Lot's of wasted talent that could have been better served with proper training and more mature standards.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 05:46:35 AM
Pop musicians generally suck at everything other then being big children all their lives. Lot's of wasted talent that could have been better served with proper training and more mature standards.

At last somebody sees truth.

Offline indutrial

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:56:10 AM

(lordly British accent)
Ahem...could somebody please ask the butler to open a window in here. The pretentiousness in here is becoming a touch trifling...

(...and back to my normal craptastic gravelly NJ tone...)
Let's not overlook how many classical musicians seem to remain small, annoying, and petulant little children for their entire lives. While I won't go to bat for ELP's classical arrangements, I at least respect the facts that they weren't sitting around on a piano web forum talking trash and making sweeping generalizations back in 1970 when they put their earliest album out. It's pretty obvious that neither of you f**king geniuses are working half as hard at whatever it is you do and probably couldn't come across 1/100th as entertaining for better or worse, so get over yourselves.  ::)

Before this becomes another whiny classical-is-better shitstorm, why not ask yourselves why the hell you feel the need to berate other genres so often. Does that make you a big smarty-pants classical musician who should be trusted to set music back on the righteous path? Is that the unspeakable brilliance that rock and jazz musicians are missing out on?

Offline Etude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 07:03:12 AM
ELP isn't pop

Offline Etude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:07:26 AM
I like it, although I believe they have done betters things.

Like Tarkus!  I do think KEs playing tends to be a bit sloppy though, I guess that's become a part of his characteristic defining sound.

Offline webern78

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:55:17 PM
ELP isn't pop

Yes it is.

(lordly British accent)
Ahem...could somebody please ask the butler to open a window in here. The pretentiousness in here is becoming a touch trifling...

(...and back to my normal craptastic gravelly NJ tone...)
Let's not overlook how many classical musicians seem to remain small, annoying, and petulant little children for their entire lives. While I won't go to bat for ELP's classical arrangements, I at least respect the facts that they weren't sitting around on a piano web forum talking trash and making sweeping generalizations back in 1970 when they put their earliest album out. It's pretty obvious that neither of you f**king geniuses are working half as hard at whatever it is you do and probably couldn't come across 1/100th as entertaining for better or worse, so get over yourselves.  ::)

Ha yes, some how i was expecting this reply. As usual from industrial, all ad hominem and no substance.

Before this becomes another whiny classical-is-better shitstorm, why not ask yourselves why the hell you feel the need to berate other genres so often. Does that make you a big smarty-pants classical musician who should be trusted to set music back on the righteous path? Is that the unspeakable brilliance that rock and jazz musicians are missing out on?

Yes yes, it's all about feeling superior to others, nothing to do with believing in a certain standard and expect others to do the same. No sir.  ::)

"Do your own thing" they say, "If it feels right then it IS right" they say, but when society begins to crumble and all standards drop like a stack of cards, ho no, can't complain, that would be ELITIST. Ho, the horror.

In the mean time, everything turns to sh*t. Our arts become a joke, our educational systems dumped down beyond recognition, our scientific achievements degrade more and more, and our social manners and sanity disappear. But hey, at least everybody is doing what they want. What a brilliant f*cking way to run a civilization.

Offline indutrial

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 06:08:51 PM
In the mean time, everything turns to sh*t. Our arts become a joke, our educational systems dumped down beyond recognition, our scientific achievements degrade more and more, and our social manners and sanity disappear. But hey, at least everybody is doing what they want. What a brilliant f*cking way to run a civilization.

How much of civilization are you running off of that keyboard and desktop you spend time pontificating on. All the self-gratifying elephant talk in the world does zero to change the problems the world faces.

You can piss and moan all you want about the "do your own thing" mentality but I think that's probably the only thing that's kept classical music (and any meaningful artistic community) on a decent path and hasn't turned it into the self-defeating eddy of self-righteous standard-toting assholes that people like you and Thierry would turn it into. If such standards and negative attitude truly ruled the roost, I'm certain that dozens of the past century's (and many contemporary) composers would have been left out in the cold. It makes me thankful that the outer limits of your garbage will probably be relegated to threads like this one.

I don't quite share your view that ELP records are signs of an impending social apocalypse. If anything, they can and probably have served as a gateway for casual music fans to actually check out composers like Bartok, Janacek, and Mussorgsky. Not everyone grows up with a high-culture gymnasium education (or pretends they did). Is a person supposed to feel like an *** because they still listen to bands like Jethro Tull and the Beatles despite deducing that their music isn't as polished as Beethoven's or Shostakovich's?

Offline indespair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 07:06:30 PM
Who gives a rat's ass about standards? Standards change. Besides Bach, Chopin, Liszt and all those awesome guys that you "classically trained" college douches revere all "did their own thing" and that is why we have pieces such as Liszt's La Campanella, Chopin's Fantasie impromptu, or Bartók's Allegro barbaro. Besides technique developed over 20 to 30 years of practice isn't everything. I know u classical fundamentalists! When it comes to writing your own stuff you guys really stink! Though u can play those pieces i mentioned very well- no question there. Yeah, the arts are degrading and we have the myriads of ass-clowns like coldplay or jonas brothers. But ELP had something different. I bet you haven't even listened to most of their awesome stuff.

Offline arturfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 06:17:01 PM
What a wonderful version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgSLXqv-1CQ

Do you like it?

Yes, finally an artist that can make Bartok sound like music.

Offline virtuoso80

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:45:16 AM
I don't love ELP when they go classical, I think they tend to miss the point. Stuff like Karn Evil 9 or Tarkus is awesome, though.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert