Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Good price for a Baldwin M1?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Brian_K

• PS Silver Member
Good price for a Baldwin M1?
on: May 17, 2004, 08:08:13 PM
Hi.  My wife and I negotiated a price for a Baldwin M1 5' 2" in Cherry finish for $17,500.  Is this a fair price or should it be lower?  Their list price was heavily inflated to $37,000 but they were liquidating their inventory for a store move.  I appreciate your reply.   Thanks in advance.

Brian

Offline buddypal1234

• PS Silver Member
Re: Good price for a Baldwin M1?
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 05:27:42 AM
Goodness! That sounds like a great buy.

We have a new Baldwin R and it is the finest piano we found in our city, Kansas City. Mike Vaccarro, the dealer here, was terrific and are son and daughter are both at music school.

I understand the factories in Arkansas are busy building pianos. Our church recently sent some folks there for a selection of a 9' grand and they couldn't say enough good things about the pianos, quality, and the good people making the Baldwin.

I love our piano and feel it was a terrific decision to buy a Baldwin.

Offline G.Fiore

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 05:37:49 AM
Brian, $17,500 is a little high for an M1 in cherry.On the east coast you could get one for $14,500
George Fiore /aka Curry
 Piano Technician serving the central New Jersey area

Offline Brian_K

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 02:41:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.  Hmmm...since I am near the east coast (Pennsylvania), I'll have to do some shopping around.  After all, the negotiation for the $17.5 price was very easy.  There wasn't even a counter offer.  This piano has been sitting for at least a year at the dealer.  The people I have been dealing with are less than honest and I don't feel good about them.  However, I would probably buy the piano from them if the price was right.  Otherwise, I'll be looking for other Baldwin dealers in my area.  Anyone know any in my area (PA)?  I'll even travel to bordering states if I have to.

Brian Kennedy

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 07:24:50 AM
Hi Brian,
Be careful of crooked salespeople...

When I was looking for a new Yamaha Grand, I went to the only dealer in the city.  He had the price set at
$26 000 Candian for a C2 (5"8'').  I asked for his final price--his absolute, bottom, not allowed to sell for less, price.  he then said 20 000.

I called up the Yamaha dealer in the next city over and asked for their price.  they then got into contact with Yamaha in Japan, and asked for the bottom price.  We ended up only paying 17 500 for a piano originally listed at 26000.

The yamaha dealer in my city is corrupt and even lied to me about the age of his used piano.  He claimed it was 15 years old, and in mint condition.  We checked out the serial number just inside the piano, looked it up, it turned out the piano was over 35 years old.  We dont do business with dealers who have monopolies over a city.

donjuan  

Offline jferguson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 11:57:02 PM
I read you live in pennsylvania- I am a sales associate at Wilmington Piano in West Conshohocken, PA and we are a Baldwin dealer.  Please feel free to contact me at jferguson@wilmingtonpiano.com

Thanks

Spatula

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 06:09:56 AM
Sales people setting up PF accounts just to sell pianos.

What is this world coming to? >:(
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert