Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Robert Alexander Schumann_Traumerei/Reverie/Dreaming op.15 no.7 from Kinderszen.  (Read 7830 times)

Offline jej

• PS Silver Member
Me playing RObert Alexander Schumann`s Traumerei.

please comment

god bless you all

Bernard

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Hi Bernard, 

You have a nice feel for this piece, and it sounds nice and "dreamy"!  (Is that an electronic piano?  It sounds very "fortepiano"-like in the upper registers.) 

You are playing some incorrect chords that are detracting, though.  I am hearing a repeated F that shouldn't be there at the top of the sotto voce chord every time (second beat, 1st full measure, etc). 

Most important, the beautiful sustained chord in the 2nd beat of the 3rd to last measure, the one with fermata--this is the little unexpected jewel of a harmony (a major 9th chord) that does not occur anywhere else in the piece.  You are playing it, I think, as the same chord found in measure 6 (a dominant 7th leading to relative D-minor).  Check your score, and be sure to correct this. 

In some places I believe you may be counting slightly incorrectly, as I lose the sense of the 4/4 time a little bit.

The last bars are marked "ritardando", so do slow it down...after all, the dream is fading away, you don't suddenly wake up!  ;)

Good start, I like your overall tone.
Teresa

Offline jej

• PS Silver Member
Hi Bernard, 

You have a nice feel for this piece, and it sounds nice and "dreamy"!  (Is that an electronic piano?  It sounds very "fortepiano"-like in the upper registers.) 

You are playing some incorrect chords that are detracting, though.  I am hearing a repeated F that shouldn't be there at the top of the sotto voce chord every time (second beat, 1st full measure, etc). 

Most important, the beautiful sustained chord in the 2nd beat of the 3rd to last measure, the one with fermata--this is the little unexpected jewel of a harmony (a major 9th chord) that does not occur anywhere else in the piece.  You are playing it, I think, as the same chord found in measure 6 (a dominant 7th leading to relative D-minor).  Check your score, and be sure to correct this. 

In some places I believe you may be counting slightly incorrectly, as I lose the sense of the 4/4 time a little bit.

The last bars are marked "ritardando", so do slow it down...after all, the dream is fading away, you don't suddenly wake up!  ;)

Teresa

Hy theresa.

Yes its electronic sinthisayser,i will get upright piano in monday. Thnx for correcting me i will try to improve my playing in chords,ritardando playing. And what is your advice for counting cuz i cant learn it:(:(

Bernard

Bernard

Offline fredericfrancoischopin

• PS Silver Member
Hi Bernard, 

Teresa

Here i fixed what you said.

Chords + Ending
currently learning:

Mussorgsky: Pictures at one exhibition suite
Beethoven: -Sonata "Grande sonate Pathetique"Ecossaisen,The turkish march,
Sgambati:Melody from Orfeo
Chopin: f.i-lp

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Now you have the right chords!   :)  I think you've got the timing better, and I do hear the ritardando at the end.  But I am hearing way too much on those sotto voce chords on the second beats.  You should soften them a lot, as it needs to sound calm with no harsh accents.  Also, I think just a bit more practice to smooth out the chords you relearned, as they sound unsure.

Keep up the good work!
Teresa

• PS Silver Member
Now you have the right chords!   :)  I think you've got the timing better, and I do hear the ritardando at the end.  But I am hearing way too much on those sotto voce chords on the second beats.  You should soften them a lot, as it needs to sound calm with no harsh accents.  Also, I think just a bit more practice to smooth out the chords you relearned, as they sound unsure.

Keep up the good work!
Teresa

thnx Theresa ,i will try to make them calm.not accents but dreaming.

BErnard
currently learning:

• PS Silver Member

Keep up the good work!
Teresa

emill or enzo is one of mine good friends ,as well George Li and Inna Angelova.

Bernard
currently learning:

Offline giannalinda

• PS Silver Member
no subject
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 01:01:53 AM
hi i'm Gianna
i just switched teachers yesterday and I had my lesson with my new teacher and he suggested that i learn this song. I think that it is so pretty. It was kind of easy for me to sightread, but all the little grace notes were tricky. I am 11 years old, and I have had teachers on and off for a while, but I have mostly taught myself. I am just wondering from anybody who has played this song that is around my level or age. I know moonlight sonata by beethoven, prelude and fuge by bach, and many more songs around that level. What were some parts for you that you thought were little errors, but were still mistakes that did not make the song sound as good? I just need suggestions so that I can make sure that I was doing whatever it was correctly. I would love suggestions. Oh...... and do not hold back for comments!
From,
             Gianna
All the old members here I kno, uve been quite mean lately, even though I apologized so i would like to ask you to please if u dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. Thank you.

Offline harpmusic

• PS Silver Member
I like your performance of this piece as you give it a lot of space and rubato which is so important. I am teaching this to one of my pupils and have told her to be careful placing the first chord which is incredibly hard to control. Have you tried to flutter the pedal-this is quite useful so that you catch the sonorities without smudging? You do, in my opinion sound a bit heavy for this piece, and I think the climax of the piece is that long sustained chord near the end. It is interesting that you prefer this to be soft.

Offline giannalinda

• PS Silver Member
your really goood!!! I love this piece! I learned to play it a while ago for fun...just an easy piece to play whenever...or wherever...nice job! sounds way better than me!
All the old members here I kno, uve been quite mean lately, even though I apologized so i would like to ask you to please if u dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all. Thank you.

• PS Silver Member
your really goood!!! I love this piece! I learned to play it a while ago for fun...just an easy piece to play whenever...or wherever...nice job! sounds way better than me!

i am an intresting piano player.I practice 4 hours a day i think i could manage.
I play very difficult pieces such as la campanella,hungarian rhapsodies(easy versions)
transcendental etudes. My favourite pianist is Evgeny Kissin. I always try for perfection.
i am in 1st grade in music school. I started playing when i was 15 and i live for playing my piano.

nice to meet you

if you have any yahoo or msn we can chat lol:D

Bernard

currently learning:

Offline giannalinda

• PS Silver Member
that would be great! i dont have msn or yahoo though. its nice to meet you too and its nice to hear a little bit about you! ill tell you a little about me. I have been playing violin for 5 years and piano for 4 1/2. i got a cello like 3 days ago and I have been fooling around with it a little bit. I play concertos and a lot of other things on piano and violin. I also play a little bit of flute...though im not very good...and i wanna learn how to sing except it sounds like im killing a cat when i sing...so my mom said not to. hope to hear from you...good job again...the Shuumann sounds really good!

• PS Silver Member
that would be great! i dont have msn or yahoo though. its nice to meet you too and its nice to hear a little bit about you! ill tell you a little about me. I have been playing violin for 5 years and piano for 4 1/2. i got a cello like 3 days ago and I have been fooling around with it a little bit. I play concertos and a lot of other things on piano and violin. I also play a little bit of flute...though im not very good...and i wanna learn how to sing except it sounds like im killing a cat when i sing...so my mom said not to. hope to hear from you...good job again...the Shuumann sounds really good!

best from me
still to come

i wanna just one thing-to realize my potential:)

and i wish all best to you too

and god bless you

Bernard
currently learning:

Offline giannalinda

• PS Silver Member

lol Bernard how long did it take YOU to learn Traumerei?

• PS Silver Member
lol Bernard how long did it take YOU to learn Traumerei?
heyyyyyyyyyy:):)

well

alot  cuz i try to understand piece first than i try to analyze it with teacher
and than ,i worked myself for 2 years

and than just put feelings in music
look away to get perfect notes
and many othersssssss
:):):)

god bless you

Bernard
currently learning:

Offline giannalinda

• PS Silver Member
heyyyyyyyyyy:):)

well

alot  cuz i try to understand piece first than i try to analyze it with teacher
and than ,i worked myself for 2 years

and than just put feelings in music
look away to get perfect notes
and many othersssssss
:):):)

god bless you

Bernard

ahh! interesting.... Ya I dont really like to spend that long on a song....The longest I can spend without gettin bored is like 2 months...MONTHS
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert