Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: MOZART---FANTASY IN D Minor K397  (Read 11597 times)

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
MOZART---FANTASY IN D Minor K397
on: August 12, 2008, 07:31:22 PM
Repost. Posted last year and grew to really dislike that recording. Have been working on it ocassionally since that time. This I like better.
"Music is the pen of the soul"

Offline broscoe

• PS Silver Member
Re: MOZART---FANTASY IN D Minor K397
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:37:39 AM
Repost. Posted last year and grew to really dislike that recording. Have been working on it ocassionally since that time. This I like better.

I like much this version. The subtle dynamic and timbric differentiations are precious, and make
so pleasurable to listen to this piece. I like also muche the balance between freedom and
regularity in tempo pronunciation.
Bye,
Benny

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:23:53 AM
I like much this version. The subtle dynamic and timbric differentiations are precious, and make
so pleasurable to listen to this piece. I like also muche the balance between freedom and
regularity in tempo pronunciation.
Bye,
Benny

Hi Benny,
   Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm very glad that you enjoyed listening to my interpretation and I find your reflections to be very helpful.

Hal

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 10:12:54 AM
pianostreet has an mp3 which is interesting to listen and compare (unfair as it is).  i noticed that immediately in the first measures - your tempo was uneven.  this works for some pieces - but not this one.  pairing notes or groups of notes just doesn't work in this piece.  in fact, in juries -it would knock you out.

you have a nice 'feel' for the piece, however - and i did feel the calm to storm.  i think the calm can be even calmer.  that's my only critique.

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:15:15 PM
pianostreet has an mp3 which is interesting to listen and compare (unfair as it is).  i noticed that immediately in the first measures - your tempo was uneven.  this works for some pieces - but not this one.  pairing notes or groups of notes just doesn't work in this piece.  in fact, in juries -it would knock you out.

you have a nice 'feel' for the piece, however - and i did feel the calm to storm.  i think the calm can be even calmer.  that's my only critique.

"KOCKED OUT" BY AN IMAGINARY JURY OF ONE --OH NOOOOOO!!! MY ONLY HOPE NOW IS THAT I CAN REGAIN CONCIOUSNESS!

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:40:32 PM
Very, very nice!  ;D  I didn't hear any particular unevenness, and I'm not sure what pianistimo meant by "pairing notes".  Anyway, I thought you did a really fine rendition of this--light, well-articulated, with drama in the right places and wit in others.  Just what Mozart would have ordered.

Teresa

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:15:17 AM
Very, very nice!  ;D  I didn't hear any particular unevenness, and I'm not sure what pianistimo meant by "pairing notes".  Anyway, I thought you did a really fine rendition of this--light, well-articulated, with drama in the right places and wit in others.  Just what Mozart would have ordered.

Teresa

Thanks Teresa_b,
   We insecure people love compliments.
   Yeah, I don't know about the uneveness either, and--- I'm not playing for any "jury", either real or imaginary. I'm just playing for myself and whoever wants to hop on the wagon.
   Every composers' body of work is a world unto itself and it needs to be comprehended and there are boundaries that if you go beyond, the music could loose it's meaning and integrity. But within those boundaries there is plenty of room for "liberties" and I certainly don't think that playing the piece on the "romantic" side (including the opening), especially a piece named "fantasy", is an assault to some supposedly "divine" set of rules delivered by some academic "jury." If there wasn't that "room" for creativity, how could you call classical music interpretation an "art" and what would distinguish one interpreter from another?
  I find this Mozart piece to be the pentultimate test of musicianship. So deceptively simple, but on such a high conceptual plane--exactly the kind of stuff that throws me. I have been struggling with it for some time and this is the first time that I have ever been remotely happy with it, although not perfectly of course.
   Whenever I occasionally get a new student who is very advanced and they bring in some big Liszt piece or any kind of virtuoso piece, my first impulse is to say "why don't we work on the Mozart Fantasy in D"--there is so much to be learned!
  Anyways, the main thing is that I'M DELIGHTED THAT YOU ENJOYED MY INTERPRETATION!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert