Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Where to perform? [Bob asks]  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Where to perform? [Bob asks]
on: May 19, 2004, 06:56:02 PM
Besides the concert stage with a concerto and orchestra, where can you perform?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Where to perform?
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 07:30:48 PM
recital halls, churches - and other places of worship - schools, colleges,  factories, town halls, piano dealerships, living rooms, senior citizen centers, fairs, etc., etc., etc.

One  popular venue in my city for concerts is a barge on the East River.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 10:16:26 PM
What do you play in these places?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 01:50:07 AM
music... ::)

Offline Clare

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 05:32:16 AM
Why not organise a concert at the local church or something? Also, entering in eisteddfods or local festival things is an option.

If you organise your own concert you can play anywhere you want with any music you want.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 05:48:39 AM
yeah, but be careful with the music selection you choose in a church...we mustn't offend anyone now..I know some touchy religious people who still consider the diminished chord evil..
donjuan

Offline Antnee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 06:05:28 AM
The very best thing you can do is gather up the courage and offer to play to someone whenever a piano is available (and if it is an appropriate time). This way you gain so much skill performing. I play for my dad every other night and to whoever may stop by our house. It has given me such good performing skills, like slowing down and just playing it like I always do. It trains you not to go into automatic, but to actually play music. It is an invaluble skill that can be gained easily if you play for someone every chance you get. So in short you should perfrom everywhere you can.

-Tony-
"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." -  Stravinsky

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 01:48:32 AM
I agree with Tony, performance skills need to be developed over time.  When I went for a first adjudication, I felt SO put on the spot.  It felt like the adjudicator was picking out every little rhythmic struggle, Everything felt cold, my hands were shaking...

Now, after years of performing for well, anyone i guess, performing music seems to be more like reciting a poem, or telling someone a story...rather than a strict race track, with me as the horse and the adjudicator whipping my ass with a stick..
donjuan

Shagdac

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 06:51:16 AM
What is an "eisteddofods". Never heard of that. Also Hmoll's suggestion of Senior Citizen homes is great. These people REALLY appreciate it, and they are usually more than happy to accomodate you. Also amusement parks, the bigger ones like SixFlags, Disney, all of them have shows they put on and have pianos not just for shows themselves, but as accompianists. Alot of area theatres are always looking for people, as well as many music stores that sell pianos. Most finer Hotels have pianos in their lobbies. Some area Universitys and Colleges also need pianist to play repertroire for their ballet and dance recitals although this ususally requires being given a huge stack of music to be able to play in a matter of days.

I think back to when I used to be nervous about doing "anything" in front of a group of people. And once I got over my fear of speaking to large groups, it didn't bother me to speak, sing or perform in front of groups.
I guess to some degree it DOES matter whom I'm playing to. For instance, I wouldn't be nervous at all playing in church, or Senior Home, or for kids, etc. But if I was playing in front of someone I knew had extensive piano background, and played Rach 3 like it was nothing, yeah, I would be nervous. I remember the first lesson I had with my now piano teacher. He was SO good, and I knew it, and felt not intimidated, but I guess I was worried he would think I was sooo bad, so I told him as soon as I walked in, I'm going to play badly, don't judge me by my first lesson, I'm nervous in front of you....he was great. After my first lesson, I wasn't nervous. I know you can't say that to a whole group of people, but being prepared takes most of the worry away. Then it's just up to you to do your best. That's all you can do, but do play for people as often as you get the chance. Sometimes after I get a part of a piece I've really been working on, I'll call my Mother, or friends and say "Hey, listen to this and tell me how it sounds"...put the phone down and play. I also play every opportunity I get. In front of family, friends, etc.

I guarantee you if you put an ad in the paper advertising that you play for parties, weddings, receptions, etc....you will have more business than you can handle. Also there are alot of piano bars/clubs that usually will take someone on, or you can leave your name and number in case one of the regulars get sick.

The type of music you play will depend on the venue you are at, or the function you are playing for. Also Nordstrom's Department stores have a piano player regularily, as do some of the other stores.

Good Luck, and let us know what you come up with!
S :)

Offline benji

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 04:29:48 AM
I've put on a couple "concerts" for a few of my teachers... Just a suggestion for if you're still in school.

Offline RGPianoMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 08:23:10 AM
perform anywhere where someone will listen to you.  Seriously.  Too many musicians are too "proud" to play in certain places and the fact of the matter is, you never know where someone with connections or someone of consequence will be waiting to hear you.

Rich

Offline sharonlovespiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 11:53:07 PM
But, if you'd like to play somewhere do I have to ask people wether I could give a concert or something? ::)
pianopianopianopiano

Offline jr11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 05:34:03 PM
I completely agree that anywhere you find a keyboard is a good place. I have just walked up to pianos in bars, halls, malls, music shops, etc and started going for it. If you use some discretion about the type of music to play (slower and quieter is best), and the timing of your performance in relation to other events, I have found sharing a tune or two is almost always appreciated. When in doubt, ask the manager of the establishment.

Offline clarinetwife

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 08:05:54 PM
Bob--I take my students to a retirement center twice a year, and I often play a little something myself.  They really like it.  Also, I planned and gave a solo and chamber recital at the local music store that has a recital hall.  I thought by involving other musicians it would increase the number of people who heard about it.  Plus, it was fun!

donjuan--Sorry to hear that you have had negative experiences with some church folk.  On a practical level, around here (NW of USA), churches hire more keyboard players that anybody.  I do not have a regular paying church gig, but the vast majority of the paying gigs that I get are for and/or through church people.  A church (not my own) houses my woodwind quintet as well, providing rehearsal space and even a small yearly stipend.  Most of the people I meet in all these situations are very nice and very appreciative of the music.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert