Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Funny facts about different artists  (Read 3552 times)

Offline A.C.

• PS Silver Member
Funny facts about different artists
on: May 21, 2004, 09:59:19 PM
I'm very interested by the funny facts of different artists. For instance, Glenn Gould's odd habits as wearing a wool topcoat in the dog days of summer, seating on a low chair and slumping over the keyboard, humming (sometimes singing) audibly to himself as he played, all the while conducting with his free hand. Paganini played violin with his face facing the floor whereas Heifetz played violin facing the roof (thus Paganini and Heifetz were called "Devil" and "God" respectively). Moreoever, Yoyo Ma never wears sock in his own concerts!

Any intriguing facts are warmly welcomed to be posted here!
A.C.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Funny facts about different artists
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 07:57:48 AM
One word: Liberoce
lol

Offline A.C.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 08:40:47 AM
Liberoce?
A.C.

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 10:49:18 AM
I think he means LiberAce........

the guy with the candelabra, isn't he?

https://www.liberace.com/

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 08:17:59 PM
Jean-Yves Thibaudet had a "red sox" period, where he wore red socks to every performance....

JK

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 08:52:22 PM
The famous (and contraversial) pianist Paderewski very briefly became primeminister of Poland after one of the world wars (I think it was WW1)!! :D

Offline mosis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 23, 2004, 05:35:41 AM
Why was Paderewski a controversial pianist?

Offline janice

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 05:58:18 AM
Yeah--I'm curious also
Co-president of the Bernhard fan club!

JK

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2004, 12:05:02 PM
I'm not totally sure as I've only seen one bit of fotage of him playing. But some people said he was vulgar and unimaginative, in fact his teacher actually doubted whether he would become a concert pianist at all. He didn't start studying piano until in his twenties and his technique was in some way basically floored! Despite this he was a very popular pianist with the pulic and I think Saint-seans hailed him as a genius, however he was not very popular with his fellow pianists who didn't like his playing a all. He also, towards the end of his life, made his debut as a Hollywood movie star in the film Moonlight sonata! :)

Offline EthanT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:43:40 PM
Mozart was gay  ;)

Doesn't it sound like that though? I mean his music is so prancy and GRAAA i hate mozart! He has got to be gay  :-X

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 05:51:32 PM
Mozart was gay  ;)
Doesn't it sound like that though? I mean his music is so prancy and GRAAA i hate mozart! He has got to be gay  :-X

Huh . . . what has music to do with sexual preference?
It is well-documented that Tchaikovsky was gay - so what? His music is loved all over the world, as is Mozart's - although most Mozart don't do much for me.
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor
amateur classical concert pianist

Offline Chopins_Fantaisie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 07:15:30 PM
Chopin would throw chairs at his students if they didn't play a piece correctly.
Music is my refuge. I could crawl into the spaces between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. - Maya Angelou

Offline ahmedito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 07:58:10 PM
Mozart was gay  ;)

What the hell????!!!!
That has got to be the most stupid ignorant comment I have seen in these forums ever!
For a good laugh, check out my posts in the audition room, and tell me exactly how terrible they are :)

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 12:13:22 AM
not to mention it's not true... Mozart had a wife and a kid - a privlege not owned by many gay men...

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 11:43:00 AM
not to mention it's not true... Mozart had a wife and a kid - a privlege not owned by many gay men...

Ah . . . then it is also a burden not shared by most gay people.;)
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 01:06:35 PM
It is well-documented that Tchaikovsky was gay - so what? His music is loved all over the world, as is Mozart's - although most Mozart don't do much for me.

Well, there is a difference.  You see, Tchaikovsky might have been gay, but his music didn't sound gay.  Mozart's music, on the other hand, sounded "prancy," which is very characteristic of gay people.  Because gay people are always prancing, especially to the tune of classical music.

Some musicians do not understand this; fortunately we have Ethan to help us make the distinction between music which is "prancy" and that which is not.

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 01:42:27 PM
I think he was joking about Wolfies sexual preference.  And don't you know that being gay is a stigma so many gay men marry women anyway?

Offline EthanT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 29, 2004, 01:53:46 AM
jeebus.. can u guys take a joke.. man...  :-/

Offline trunks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2004, 07:31:48 AM
jeebus.. can u guys take a joke.. man...  :-/

Oh I appreciate your sense of humour.:)
But then any pejorative remark on minority groups such as the gay community is no joke. Any time it could evoke a flame war.
Peter (Hong Kong)
part-time piano tutor

Spatula

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2004, 07:55:28 AM
I kinda wonder if Mozart really did laugh after every sentence he said, like in Amadeus, hahaha ...

I love that phrase, ... " they think they're royal, they sh*t marble!!" or something like that.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA ...oops..there goes my "mozart laugh".. maybe that supports the notion he was gay..HAHHAAH... Okay I'll stop.

(Not that I think he's gay  :-X )

Spatula

Reply #20 on: May 29, 2004, 07:56:57 AM
BTW, I'm not touching any gay/straight issues with a sixty foot pole.

Offline cziffra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: May 29, 2004, 03:46:02 PM
since when did chopin throw chairs?
What it all comes down to is that one does not play the piano with one’s fingers; one plays the piano with one’s mind.-  Glenn Gould

Offline Saturn

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: May 29, 2004, 04:02:24 PM
Ethan:
I didn't mean to be so harsh about my comment.  I knew it was a joke, it just wasn't a very good one.  I'm a huge fan of Mozart too.

Spatula:
I found this in a little search:

"The concept for Mozart's annoying laugh was taken from references in letters written about him. One described his laugh as 'an infectious giddy' while another described it as 'like metal scraping glass' (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/trivia)."

So it's fact-based, but probably exaggerated quite a bit.  Personally I found that his laugh in the movie kind of grows on you by the end...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert