Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy/Voiles  (Read 8033 times)

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Debussy/Voiles
on: September 21, 2008, 04:39:42 AM
The second prelude from Book I, recorded a couple of months ago. The recording is a bit muffled, sorry.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

"One never knows about another one, do one?" Fats Waller

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy/Voiles
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 08:01:14 AM
Bump  :)
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:02:28 PM
 :) Very nice!  You have a good feel for this piece.  I have no significant criticisms--the only thing I might suggest is to think of the whole thing as even more filmy and diaphanous.  But it really sounds nice now.  Great work!

Teresa

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 01:39:15 AM
I've not played this piece, but it is it possible to play the thirds with two hands (one for top line and other for bottom).  The reason i ask is that this would be be much more etherial at double tempo - really lightening up on the fastest notes.  guess that debussy is one of the harder composers to play.  You really have to memorize it to get the best sounds.  I liked what you did in the middle section with the glissandos.  They sound good.

in looking at the score, don't you wish debussy had moved the octaves to the right hand so you could play octave and then fast run with same lh - so rh and lh could play really fast there together.  playing thirds with one hand as smoothly as possible probably takes working out a few fingerings so you don't get ba ba     ba ba.  maybe move the rh thumb over to the last note?

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 11:38:45 PM
I've not played this piece, but it is it possible to play the thirds with two hands (one for top line and other for bottom).  The reason i ask is that this would be be much more etherial at double tempo - really lightening up on the fastest notes. 

You have to do the thirds with one hand because the LH is playing the ostinato bass and the chords at the same time. I'll try playing it faster, but this tempo is already fast enough imo. The faster tempo will be interesting, though.

guess that debussy is one of the harder composers to play.  You really have to memorize it to get the best sounds.  I liked what you did in the middle section with the glissandos.  They sound good.

For me he might be the easiest composer.

in looking at the score, don't you wish debussy had moved the octaves to the right hand so you could play octave and then fast run with same lh - so rh and lh could play really fast there together.

Not sure what you mean  ???  I play the octaves with both hands, and the "glissando", the first five notes with the LH and the rest with the RH, each note fingered, so it's not a glissando.

playing thirds with one hand as smoothly as possible probably takes working out a few fingerings so you don't get ba ba     ba ba.  maybe move the rh thumb over to the last note?

I've always played 5 5 4 3 2  , pedaling lightly for the legato. Getting it consistent does require patience.   3 3 2 1 1  I'm glad that you enjoyed this recording.  :)

=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline arensky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:42:15 PM
:) Very nice!  You have a good feel for this piece.  I have no significant criticisms--the only thing I might suggest is to think of the whole thing as even more filmy and diaphanous.  But it really sounds nice now.  Great work!

Teresa
Even more pedal? My former teachers (except one) are cringing!  :D Glad you liked it.
=  o        o  =
   \     '      /   

Offline teresa_b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:39 AM
Even more pedal? My former teachers (except one) are cringing!  :D Glad you liked it.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean you need more pedal, although I believe you can get away with a lot of pedaling in Debussy, depending on the mood of it.  (And I am not a pedal-maniac, being a Mozart person!)  Just a mindset of "billowy, filmy" etc--I find sometimes if I visualize imagery of what I am going for, I can better produce the sound.  Have fun, your Debussy sounds wonderful!  :)

Teresa

Offline lisztisforkids

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:01:31 PM
Very nice. Debussy (and French music in general) is a mysterious and seductive language I have never been able to grasp.
we make God in mans image
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert