Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: e flat major vs c minor  (Read 21426 times)

Offline raintree

• PS Silver Member
e flat major vs c minor
on: September 25, 2008, 06:35:08 AM
Pls help me  :o

I've been practicing the C minor scale and have also played the E flat major scale.  Would someone pls help me understand the relationship b/w them. Thing is, I also just started playing Bach's Prelude in C minor BWV 999  - why is it in C minor instead of E flat major. Thank's for reading!  ;)

RT

Offline healdie

• PS Silver Member
Re: e flat major vs c minor
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:18 PM
well C minor is the relative minor key to E flat major the 6th degree of every major scale is the relative minor i.e
C Mjaor = A Minor
D Major = B Minor
F Major = D Minor
etc
they as you will know share the same key signature but are very different in charecter

It is in C Minor rather than E flat major because the prelude basis the C Minor chord as its tonic rather than E Flat major

hope this helps a bit
"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit, Genius is hitting a target no one else can see"

A. Schopenhauer

Florestan

Offline hyrst

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:16:39 PM
The note we start on makes our ears expect certain sounds.  Just one note different changes everything we expect to hear.  So, if we play CDE it is very different to CDEb.  Your piece starts on C chord, so your ears expect to hear things from this place - starting from CDEb sounds very different to EbFG.  Another very important difference between the two is the A and B naturals in ascending areas.  This is the melodic form of the scale - which is like playing the last parts of the C major sclae.  The B natural semi-tone to C tells your ears that you are heading to an important tone - which is the C.  Those naturals and that interval are not present in Eb major unless the piece modulates (changes key).  So, your ears feel like they have 'come home' once you get to C but not once you get to Eb.

Offline subosc

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:15:52 AM
Thanks, this helped  :D

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:47:15 PM
Different tonal center.  Everything revolves around c in minor.  Around Eb in Eb Major.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline cudo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:58:45 PM
Pls help me  :o

I've been practicing the C minor scale and have also played the E flat major scale.  Would someone pls help me understand the relationship b/w them. Thing is, I also just started playing Bach's Prelude in C minor BWV 999  - why is it in C minor instead of E flat major. Thank's for reading!  ;)

RT
Hi raintree,

did you notice that only the first few bars of Bach's C minor BWV 999 is in C minor? The rest is in G minor!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert