Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Note Value  (Read 1906 times)

Offline raintree

• PS Silver Member
Note Value
on: October 23, 2008, 03:59:05 AM
another newbie ?

I'm in 3/4 time and counting 1 - 2 -3 -4 -5 -6  and my 3 note has a dot behind it - does that mean I hold it for 2 beats - ie the third and forth beat. Does a dot behind a note always add one beat to the note's original value. :o Thanks in advance!

RT

Offline hyrst

• PS Silver Member
Re: Note Value
Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:53:21 AM
I find your question a little unclear and confusing.  Are you counting 6 counts within each bar or across 2 bars?  The dot after the note always adds 1/2 the value of the note it follows, not the one it comes before.

With the current information, my guess is you have the following pattern (also with limited font possibilities) - the last note being an 1/8th note / quaver.  Does this fit?
o        o.        o
1 ,2    3,4,5    6

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert