Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Liszt's Bénédiction de Dieu dans la Solitude  (Read 16018 times)

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
Liszt's Bénédiction de Dieu dans la Solitude
on: November 02, 2008, 06:09:15 PM
I think this is among Liszt's most striking piano compositions (he liked it himself and played it often for visitors), and yet it seems quite rarely learned or performed today. I started learning it over year ago, then put it aside, because I found it hard to read and to memorize. Now I am back trying to learn the second and third part of it.

Does anyone know/play this piece? How does it compare in terms of difficulty to more frequently played Liszt pieces such as Ballade 2, Funérailles, Concert Etudes, Valleé d'Oberman?
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt's Bénédiction de Dieu dans la Solitude
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:00:34 PM
I'm learning it at the moment.  It's a wonderful piece, Kentner has a great recording of it.
It's a big work so getting a good idea of the scope of the piece is relatively important.
The accompanying figurations are an absolute pain in the arse at first (actually still are for me, but it's early days) - you need a very malleable thumb and a 9th stretch would be of use.  It needs time to settle so if you've learnt it before, it should be on it's way.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:51:31 PM
Like you I was initially shocked by the streches required in the rh figuration. But believe it or not, they now feel almost natural (which is to say that one can also significantly improve one's technique by learning this piece).

I have Kentner's recording, which I agree is great. I also like Brendel's recording of it. In contrast, I find Arrau's and Bolet's interpretations too slow. Of course, picking an upbeat tempo doesn't make it any easier ... :P
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline putzifra

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:13:54 AM
Stanislav Yovanovitch, "Performances very different from anything and everything I've heard before. They make me think of a forgotten time before piano playing became an essentially imitative art.
They are incandecent, titanic, lyrical and always committed, original, thought-provoking and fascinating....There is an important artistic message in play"
A prominent New York music critic, "Radu".
The Benediction is in the "1989 Royal Concerts CD".

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:32:42 PM
Playing and learning this piece under the aegis of Bolet himself:

Starts about at Minute 4. And his lesson in Parts 2 & 3 of the series.

Interesting.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:52:38 PM
I have the Budapest edition and in b.144-5, there's a decrescendo!  This is troubling me as it seems exactly the opposite to what one would normally do and I can't get it to work.  Is it the right marking?
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:17:56 PM
I have the Budapest edition and in b.144-5, there's a decrescendo!  This is troubling me as it seems exactly the opposite to what one would normally do and I can't get it to work.  Is it the right marking?

Excellent question. I was also puzzled getting there and seeing this decrescendo just before the climax in the Henle Edition. I think there are two explanations. 1. This is simply a mistake that occurred somewhere between autograph and the first editions.
2. fff chords in the high register do not sound very good; perhaps Liszt wanted to indicate that one shouldn't rush up there and bang those chords in like crazy. Rather that one should exert a grain of restraint, favoring expression over mere loundness.

Offline sonny-man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 04:27:35 AM
Hi friends of Liszt music!

Could anyone out there send me the sheet music (e.g., as PDF)  of that wonderful piece?

My email adress would be:

berkenkamp@web.de

Thanks // STEFAN
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert