Piano Forum

Topic: Liszt Tarantella  (Read 16312 times)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Tarantella
on: November 16, 2008, 09:12:47 PM
Hi.

I have wanted to play this Tarantella for a long time, but now it doesn't feel too impossible. I've played the full waldstein sonata, the first Mephisto waltz, chopin's second scherzo, the revolutionary etude and the op 10 no 8 etude. (I've played some more pieces, ofc, but not in this difficulty)
As exercises I've played some Brahms exercises, and full 40 daily exercises by Czerny.

Do you think I am ready for this Tarantella?
Whatever you answer I will ask my teacher, but it would feel better if some people accauly thought I was ready for it :P

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Tarantella
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:41:39 PM
If you can play the Mephisto Waltz, I cannot see any reason why you should not approach this piece with considerable confidence.

I say go for it.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:57 PM
If you can play the Mephisto Waltz, I cannot see any reason why you should not approach this piece with considerable confidence.

I say go for it.

Thal
If we are talking about the Tarantella from Venezia e Napoli, the supplement to the Italian volume of Liszt's remarkable series under the general title of Années de pèlerinage, then yes it's a tough challenge but one to which it is eminently well worth the effort to respond; I recall a recital in Cheltenham Town Hall (UK) at least a quarter century ago in which the inimitable Shura Cherkassky chose this work as the final item before his encores and he brought the house down with his utter spontaneity allied to the kind of über-precision-engineered pianism by which even the most devoted of pedants could have set their clocks.

Speaking of tarantellas for piano, incidentally, I note with interest that the original manuscript of Chopin's (hardly one of his best works but at the same time not one deserving of being ignored) is shortly to come up for sale at Sotheby's in London...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:09:14 PM
If we are talking about the Tarantella from Venezia e Napoli, the supplement to the Italian volume of Liszt's remarkable series under the general title of Années de pèlerinage

I hope we are, as if it were the Liszt/Auber Tarantella di Bravura aus Die Stumme von Portici, i would have suggested it be left a while.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:18:40 PM
I hope we are, as if it were the Liszt/Auber Tarantella di Bravura aus Die Stumme von Portici, i would have suggested it be left a while.
Advice which, though wise in its own right, I signally failed to take a long time ago when alluding to it en passant in the opening movement of my piano quintet which then I consigned (having completed that 20-or-so-minute movement) to lukewarm storage status for around a quarter century before finally committing myself to continuing with it (I am working on it currently and hope to complete it some time next year)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:21:42 PM
Lukewarm storage.

You put it in your wine cellar??

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:38:17 PM
Lukewarm storage.

You put it in your wine cellar??

Thal
Nice one, Thal! but no, I didn't - and, even I had done, I might well be wondering whether the piece was still worth drinking rather than whether or not it merited completion...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline zemyk4e

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:13:26 AM
Wow. Mr. Hinton, you really are a bit critical of your music. It is something that perhaps has bothered composers for centuries. Did you put it away because of circumstances or just because the music seemed insignificant?

regards,

WP
guill

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:27 AM
Wow. Mr. Hinton, you really are a bit critical of your music. It is something that perhaps has bothered composers for centuries. Did you put it away because of circumstances or just because the music seemed insignificant?

regards,

WP
Greetings!

In this particular case I consigned it to the indefinitely pending drawer because, having completed its first movement, I remained unconvinced about whether that movement could stand alone or whether the other three were essential to it - then it just dropped lower on the list of priorities for an unusually long period of time before I finally decided to re-address the issue and decided that it was, after all, worth exploring the possibilities of its potential remainder and, having gotten back into it, realised that it does, after all, need to be completed as a four-movement work.

Anyway - better return to Liszt here!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianovirus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:49:21 AM
I'd agree with the others, go for it. I love the Tarantella, but I think its effect is multiplied when played in the context of the whole Venezia e Napoli. Especially the Gondoliera is just wonderful.
youtube.com/user/pianovirus[/url]

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:07:10 AM
I'd agree with the others, go for it. I love the Tarantella, but I think its effect is multiplied when played in the context of the whole Venezia e Napoli. Especially the Gondoliera is just wonderful.
Yes - in fact I would go so far as to regard the entire series of Années de Pèlerinage as one of Liszt's most significant achievement as a piano composer, which says rather a lot when one considers that all of his solo piano music (including transcriptions and arrangments) runs to around 100 CDs' worth...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:41:28 PM
Of course I would love to play the full thing, with the rest of italy. But I really don't have the time atm. I'll play it in a course in august, and b4 that, there will be applyments for some concervatories and stuff, which ends in Mars. And I'll play more than the tarantella, so that will be enough, for now :P
Thx anyway. :)

Offline andro

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:26:58 AM
I sure you are !

Offline sehnsucht69

Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:04:51 PM
Wicht do you prefer?

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert